All men of talent, whether they be men of feeling or not;
一切有才能的人,無論有無感情,
whether they be zealots, or aspirants, or despots --
無論是狂熱者、還是追求者,抑或暴君——
provided only they be sincere -- have their sublime moments, when they subdue and rule.
只要是誠懇的——在征服和統治期間都有令人崇敬的時刻。
I felt veneration for St. John -- veneration so strong that its impetus thrust me at once to the point I had so long shunned.
我崇敬圣·約翰——那么五體投地,結果所產生的沖擊力一下子把我推到了我久久回避的那一點上。
I was tempted to cease struggling with him -- to rush down the torrent of his will into the gulf of his existence, and there lose my own.
我很想停止同他搏斗——很想讓他意志的洪流急速注入他生活的海峽,與我的水乳交融。
I was almost as hard beset by him now as I had been once before, in a different way, by another.
現在我被他所困擾,幾乎就象當初我受到另一個人的不同方式的困擾一樣,
I was a fool both times.
兩次我都做了傻瓜,
To have yielded then would have been an error of principle;
在當時讓步會是原則上的錯誤;
to have yielded now would have been an error of judgment.
而現在讓步就會犯判斷的錯誤。
So I think at this hour, when I look back to the crisis through the quiet medium of time:
所以此時此刻我想,當我透過時間的平靜中介,回頭去看那危機時,
I was unconscious of folly at the instant.
當初我并沒有意識到自己的愚蠢。
I stood motionless under my hierophant's touch.
我一動不動地站著,受著我的圣師的觸摸。
My refusals were forgotten -- my fears overcome -- my wrestlings paralysed.
我忘卻了拒絕——克服了恐懼——停止了搏斗。
The Impossible -- i.e. my marriage with St. John -- was fast becoming the Possible.
不可能的事——也就是我與圣·約翰的婚姻——很快要成為可能了。
All was changing utterly with a sudden sweep.
猛地一陣風過,全都變了樣。
Religion called -- Angels beckoned -- God commanded --
宗教在呼喚——天使在招手——上帝在指揮——
life rolled together like a scroll -- death's gates opening, showed eternity beyond:
生命被卷起,好像書卷——死亡之門打開了,露出了彼岸的永恒。
it seemed, that for safety and bliss there, all here might be sacrificed in a second.
后來,為了那里的安全和幸福,頃刻之間這里什么都可以犧牲。
The dim room was full of visions.
陰暗的房間里充滿了幻象。
"Could you decide now?" asked the missionary.
“你現在就能決定嗎?”傳教士問。