To protect the Hornwood holdings from the Boltons, he had written, but Ser Rodrik had been almost as angry with him as with the bastard.
這是為避免霍伍德家的產業淪入波頓手中所做的必要措施,他來信中這樣解釋,但羅德利克爵士對他和對那私生子一樣火冒三丈。
"Ser Rodrik might let me go. Maester Luwin never would."
“羅德利克爵士或許會同意??婶敎貛煾禌Q計不會?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
Sitting cross-legged under the weirwood, Jojen Reed regarded him solemnly.
玖健盤腿坐在魚梁木下,嚴肅地望著他。
"It would be good if you left Winterfell, Bran."
“你能離開臨冬城就好了,布蘭?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"It would?"
“真的?”
"Yes. And sooner rather than later."
“對。越快越好?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"My brother has the greensight," said Meera.
“我弟弟有綠之視野,”梅拉道,
"He dreams things that haven't happened, but sometimes they do."
“他能夢見尚未發生的事,而它們往往會成真?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"There is no sometimes, Meera."
“不是往往,梅拉。
A look passed between them; him sad, her defiant.
”他們之間對視一眼:他悲傷,她倔強。
"Tell me what's going to happen," Bran said.
“告訴我會發生什么事,”布蘭說。
"I will," said Jojen, "if you'll tell me about your dreams."
“我會的,”玖健道,“但請你首先告訴我你的夢。”
The godswood grew quiet.
神木林間剎時寧靜下來。
Bran could hear leaves rustling, and Hodor's distant splashing from the hot pools.
布蘭聽見樹葉的沙沙響,聽見阿多洗熱泉發出的微弱水聲。
He thought of the golden man and the three-eyed crow, remembered the crunch of bones between his jaws and the coppery taste of blood.
他想到了金色男子和三眼烏鴉,他想起啄碎頭骨的鳥喙和嘴中金屬般的血味道。
"I don't have dreams.
于是他說:“我不做夢。
Maester Luwin gives me sleeping draughts."
魯溫師傅給我喝安眠藥?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"Do they help?"
“起作用嗎?”
"Sometimes."
“很有效?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
Meera said, "All of Winterfell knows you wake at night shouting and sweating, Bran.
梅拉開了口:“整個臨冬城都知道你時時在夜里醒來,渾身是汗,大喊大叫,布蘭。
The women talk of it at the well, and the guards in their hall."
打水的女仆這么說,大廳的守衛也這么說?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"Tell us what frightens you so much," said Jojen.
“告訴我們,你在怕什么,”玖健道。
"I don't want to. Anyway, it's only dreams.
“不要。不管怎么說,那都只是夢而已。
Maester Luwin says dreams might mean anything or nothing."
魯溫師傅說夢什么也不代表。”
"My brother dreams as other boys do, and those dreams might mean anything," Meera said,
“我弟弟和別的男孩一樣會做夢,有的夢也許只是夢,”梅拉說,
"but the green dreams are different."
“但綠色之夢不一樣。”
Jojen's eyes were the color of moss, and sometimes when he looked at you he seemed to be seeing something else.
玖健的眼睛是青苔的顏色,很多時候,當他看著你,你會覺得他看到的不止是你,還包括很多別的事物。
Like now. "I dreamed of a winged wolf bound to earth with grey stone chains," he said.
就像現在?!拔覊粢娨恢婚L翅膀的狼被灰色石鏈束縛于地,”他說。
"It was a green dream, so I knew it was true.
“那是綠色之夢,我知道是真的。
A crow was trying to peck through the chains, but the stone was too hard and his beak could only chip at them."
一只烏鴉想琢開鏈條,然而石頭太堅硬,它的喙只能徒勞無益地留下痕跡?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"Did the crow have three eyes?"
“那烏鴉有三只眼睛嗎?”
Jojen nodded.
玖健點頭。
Summer raised his head from Bran's lap, and gazed at the mudman with his dark golden eyes.
夏天自布蘭膝蓋抬起頭,用那雙黑底金瞳的眼睛凝視著泥人