"And yet St. John is a good man," said Diana.
“而圣·約翰是個好人,”黛安娜說。
"He is a good and a great man; but he forgets, pitilessly, the feelings and claims of little people, in pursuing his own large views.
“他是一個好人,也是個偉人。可惜他在追求大目標時,忘掉了小人物的情感和要求。
It is better, therefore, for the insignificant to keep out of his way, lest, in his progress, he should trample them down.
因此,微不足道的人還是離他遠一點好,免得他在前進時把他們踩倒了。
Here he comes! I will leave you, Diana."
他來了,我得走了,黛安娜。”
And I hastened upstairs as I saw him entering the garden.
我見他進了園子,便匆匆上樓去了。
But I was forced to meet him again at supper.
但是吃晚飯時我不得不再次與他相遇。
During that meal he appeared just as composed as usual.
用餐時他完全像平常那樣顯得很平靜,
I had thought he would hardly speak to me, and I was certain he had given up the pursuit of his matrimonial scheme:
我本以為他不會同我說話了,而且確信他已經放棄了自己的婚姻計劃,但后來的情況表明,
the sequel showed I was mistaken on both points.
在這兩點上我都錯了。
He addressed me precisely in his ordinary manner, or what had, of late, been his ordinary manner -- one scrupulously polite.
他完全以平常的態度,或者說最近已習以為常的態度同我說話。
No doubt he had invoked the help of the Holy Spirit to subdue the anger I had roused in him, and now believed he had forgiven me once more.
無疑他求助于圣靈來克制我在他心里所激起的憤怒,現在他相信已再次寬恕了我。
For the evening reading before prayers, he selected the twenty-first chapter of Revelation.
禱告前的晚讀,他選了《啟示錄》的第二十一章。
It was at all times pleasant to listen while from his lips fell the words of the Bible:
傾聽《圣經》中的話從他嘴里吐出來始終是一種享受。
never did his fine voice sound at once so sweet and full --
他優美的嗓子是最洪亮又最動聽的,
never did his manner become so impressive in its noble simplicity, as when he delivered the oracles of God:
他的態度之高尚純樸也最令人難忘,他在發表上帝的圣諭時.