"He does -- he has asked me to be his wife."
“他確實是這樣——他求我做他的妻子?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
Diana clapped her hands.
黛安娜拍手叫好。
"That is just what we hoped and thought!
“這正是我們的愿望和想法呢!
And you will marry him, Jane, won't you?
你會嫁給他的,簡,是嗎?
And then he will stay in England."
那樣他就會留在英國了?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"Far from that, Diana; his sole idea in proposing to me is to procure a fitting fellow-labourer in his Indian toils."
“他才不會呢,黛安娜。他向我求婚只有一個意思,那就是為他在印度的苦役找個合適的伙伴?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"What! He wishes you to go to India?"
“什么!他希望你去印度?”
"Yes."
“不錯?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"Madness!" she exclaimed.
“簡直瘋了!”她嚷到。
"You would not live three months there, I am certain.
“我敢肯定,你在那里住不滿三十月。
You never shall go: you have not consented, have you, Jane?"
你決不能去,你沒有同意,是吧,簡?”
"I have refused to marry him" ----
“我已經拒絕嫁給他——”
"And have consequently displeased him?" she suggested.
“結果使他不高興了?”她提醒說。
"Deeply: he will never forgive me, I fear:
“很不高興,我擔心他永遠不會原諒我。
yet I offered to accompany him as his sister."
不過我提出作為他的妹妹陪他去。”
"It was frantic folly to do so, Jane.
“那真是傻到極點了,簡。
Think of the task you undertook -- one of incessant fatigue, where fatigue kills even the strong, and you are weak.
想一想你要干的事吧——累個沒完的,身強力壯的人都會給累死,更何況你又那么弱。
St. John -- you know him -- would urge you to impossibilities: with him there would be no permission to rest during the hot hours;
圣·約翰——你知道他——會慫恿你去干做不到的事情。你要是跟著他,就是大熱天也不讓歇口氣。
and unfortunately, I have noticed, whatever he exacts, you force yourself to perform.
可惜就我所見,凡是他強求你做的,你都逼著自己去完成。
I am astonished you found courage to refuse his hand.
你倒是有勇氣拒絕他的求婚,我真感到驚訝,
You do not love him then, Jane?"
那么你是不愛他了,簡?”
"Not as a husband."
“不是把他當作丈夫來愛?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"Yet he is a handsome fellow."
“不過他是個漂亮的家伙?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"And I am so plain, you see, Die.
“而我又長得那么平庸,你知道,黛。
We should never suit."
我們決不般配?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"Plain! You? Not at all.
“平庸!你?絕對不是。
You are much too pretty, as well as too good, to be grilled alive in Calcutta."
你太漂亮,也太好了,不值得那么活活地放到加爾各答去烤。
And again she earnestly conjured me to give up all thoughts of going out with her brother.
”她再次真誠地懇求我放棄同她兄長一起出國的一切念頭。