Now I never had, as the reader knows, either given any formal promise or entered into any engagement;
讀者們明白,我從來沒有作過一本正經的許諾,也沒有跟誰訂下過約定。
and this language was all much too hard and much too despotic for the occasion.
在這種場合,他的話說得太狠,太專橫了。
I replied: --
我回答:
"There is no dishonour, no breach of promise, no desertion in the case.
“在這件事情上,并無恥辱可言,也不存在著失信和毀約。
I am not under the slightest obligation to go to India, especially with strangers.
我絲毫沒有去印度的義務,尤其是同陌生人。
With you I would have ventured much, because I admire, confide in, and, as a sister, I love you;
同你,我愿意冒很大的險,因為我佩服你,信任你。作為一個妹妹,我愛你。
but I am convinced that, go when and with whom I would, I should not live long in that climate."
但我相信,不管什么時候去,跟誰去,在那種氣候條件下我活不長久。”
"Ah! you are afraid of yourself,"
“呵,你怕你自己,”
he said, curling his lip.
他噘起嘴唇說。
"I am. God did not give me my life to throw away;
“我是害怕。上帝給了我生命不是讓我虛擲的,
and to do as you wish me would, I begin to think, be almost equivalent to committing suicide.
而按你的意愿去做,我想無異于自殺。
Moreover, before I definitively resolve on quitting England,
況且,我在決心離開英國之前,
I will know for certain whether I cannot be of greater use by remaining in it than by leaving it."
還要確實弄明白,留在這兒是不是比離開更有價值。”
"What do you mean?"
“你這是什么意思?”
"It would be fruitless to attempt to explain;
“解釋也是徒勞的,
but there is a point on which I have long endured painful doubt, and I can go nowhere till by some means that doubt is removed."
在這一點上我長期忍受著痛苦的疑慮,不通過某種辦法來解除疑團,我什么地方也不能去。”
"I know where your heart turns and to what it clings.
“我知道你的心向著哪里,依戀著什么。
The interest you cherish is lawless and unconsecrated.
你所懷的興趣是非法的,不神圣的。
Long since you ought to have crushed it: now you should blush to allude to it.
你早該將它拋棄了。這會兒你應當為提起它來而感到害臊。
You think of Mr. Rochester?"
你是不是想著羅切斯特先生?”
It was true. I confessed it by silence.
確實如此,我默認了。
"Are you going to seek Mr. Rochester?"
“你要去找羅切斯特先生嗎?”
"I must find out what is become of him."
“我得弄清楚他怎么樣了。”