"I hope we are friends," was the unmoved reply;
“但愿我們是朋友,”他一面無動于衷地回答,
while he still watched the rising of the moon, which he had been contemplating as I approached.
一面仍然仰望著冉冉上升的月亮,我走近他時他就早已那么凝視著了。
"No, St. John, we are not friends as we were.
“不,圣·約翰。我們并不像過去那樣是朋友了。
You know that."
這你知道?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"Are we not? That is wrong.
“難道我們不是嗎?這話可錯了。
For my part, I wish you no ill and all good."
就我來說,我并沒希望你倒霉,而是愿你一切都好?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"I believe you, St. John; for I am sure you are incapable of wishing any one ill;
“我相信你,圣·約翰,因為我深信你不會希望別人倒霉,
but, as I am your kinswoman, I should desire somewhat more of affection than that sort of general philanthropy you extend to mere strangers."
不過既然我是你的親戚,我就希望多得到一分愛,超過你施予一般陌路人的博愛?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
"Of course," he said.
“當然,”他說,
"Your wish is reasonable, and I am far from regarding you as a stranger."
“你的愿望是合理的,我決沒有把你當作陌路人?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
This, spoken in a cool, tranquil tone, was mortifying and baffling enough.
這話說得沉著鎮靜,但也是夠折磨人令人喪氣的。
Had I attended to the suggestions of pride and ire, I should immediately have left him;
要是我遷就自尊和惱怒的苗頭,我會立刻走掉。
but something worked within me more strongly than those feelings could.
但是我內心有某種比那些感情更強烈的東西在活動。
I deeply venerated my cousin's talent and principle.
我十分敬佩我表兄的才能和為人,
His friendship was of value to me: to lose it tried me severely.
他的友誼對我來說很寶貴,失掉它會使我心里非常難受。
I would not so soon relinquish the attempt to reconquer it.
我不會那么很快就放棄重新征服的念頭。
"Must we part in this way, St. John?
“難道我們就得這樣分別了嗎?圣·約翰?
And when you go to India, will you leave me so, without a kinder word than you have yet spoken?"
你就這么離開我去印度,不說一句更好聽的話嗎?”
He now turned quite from the moon and faced me.
他這會兒已完全不看月亮,把面孔轉向了我。
"When I go to India, Jane, will I leave you!
“我去印度就是離開你嗎,簡?
What! do you not go to India?"
什么!你不去印度?”
"You said I could not unless I married you."
“你說我不能去,除非嫁給你。”
"And you will not marry me!
“你將不同我結婚!
You adhere to that resolution?"
你堅持這個決定?”