That night, after he had kissed his sisters, he thought proper to forget even to shake hands with me, but left the room in silence.
那天晚上,他吻了妹妹們以后,認為忘掉同我握手比較妥當,便默默地離開了房間,
I -- who, though I had no love, had much friendship for him -- was hurt by the marked omission:
我盡管對他沒有愛情,卻有深厚的友誼,被他這種明顯的冷落刺傷了心,
so much hurt that tears started to my eyes.
我心里難受得連淚水都涌上了眼睛。
"I see you and St. John have been quarrelling, Jane," said Diana, "during your walk on the moor.
“我看得出來,你們在荒原上散步時,你和圣·約翰吵過了,簡,”黛安娜說,
But go after him; he is now lingering in the passage expecting you -- he will make it up."
“可是,跟上他吧,他在過道里走來走去,盼著你呢——他會和好的。”
I have not much pride under such circumstances:
這種情況下我沒有多大的自尊。
I would always rather be happy than dignified; and I ran after him -- he stood at the foot of the stairs.
與其保持尊嚴,總還不如保持心境愉快,我跟在他后面跑過去——他在樓梯跟前站住了。
"Good-night, St. John," said I.
“晚安,圣·約翰,”我說。
"Good-night, Jane," he replied calmly.
“晚安,簡,”他鎮定地回答。
"Then shake hands," I added.
“那么握握手吧,”我加了一句。
What a cold, loose touch, he impressed on my fingers!
他的手觸碰我的手指時是多么冷,多么松弛呀!
He was deeply displeased by what had occurred that day; cordiality would not warm, nor tears move him.
他對那天發生的事情很不高興。熱誠已無法使他溫暖,眼淚也不能打動他了。
No happy reconciliation was to be had with him -- no cheering smile or generous word:
同他已不可能達成愉快的和解——他沒有激勵人的笑容,也沒有慷慨大度的話語。
but still the Christian was patient and placid;
可是這位基督徒依然耐心而平靜。
and when I asked him if he forgave me, he answered that he was not in the habit of cherishing the remembrance of vexation;
我問他是否原諒我時,他說沒有記恨的習慣,
that he had nothing to forgive, not having been offended.
也沒有什么需要原諒,因為壓根兒就沒有被冒犯過。
And with that answer he left me.
他那么回答了以后,便離開了我。
I would much rather he had knocked me down.
我寧愿被他打倒在地。