"A part of me you must become," he answered steadily;
“你必須成為我的一部分,”他沉著地回答,
"otherwise the whole bargain is void.
“不然整個事兒只是一句空話。
How can I, a man not yet thirty, take out with me to India a girl of nineteen, unless she be married to me?
除非你跟我結婚,要不我這樣一個不到三十歲的男人怎么能帶一個十九歲的站娘去印度呢?
How can we be for ever together -- sometimes in solitudes, sometimes amidst savage tribes -- and unwed?"
我們怎么能沒有結婚卻始終呆在一起呢——有時與外界隔絕,有時與野蠻種族相處?”
"Very well," I said shortly;
“很好,”我唐突地說,
"under the circumstances, quite as well as if I were either your real sister, or a man and a clergyman like yourself."
“既然這樣,那還不如把我當成你的親妹妹,或者像你一樣一個男人,一個牧師。”
"It is known that you are not my sister;
“誰都知道你不是我的妹妹。
I cannot introduce you as such: to attempt it would be to fasten injurious suspicions on us both.
我不能那樣把你介紹給別人,不然會給我們兩人招來嫌疑和中傷。
And for the rest, though you have a man's vigorous brain, you have a woman's heart and -- it would not do."
至于其他,盡管你有著男子活躍的頭腦,卻有一顆女人的心——這就不行了。”
"It would do," I affirmed with some disdain,
“這行”,我有些不屑地肯定說,
"perfectly well.
“完全行。
I have a woman's heart, but not where you are concerned;
我有一顆女人的心,但這顆心與你說的無關。
for you I have only a comrade's constancy;a fellow-soldier's frankness, fidelity, fraternity, if you like;
對你,我只抱著同伴的堅貞,兄弟戰士的坦率、忠誠和友情,
a neophyte's respect and submission to his hierophant: nothing more -- don't fear."
如果還有別的,那就是新教士對圣師的尊敬和服從。沒有別的了——請放心。”
"It is what I want," he said, speaking to himself;
“這就是我所需要的,”他自言自語地說,
"it is just what I want. And there are obstacles in the way: they must be hewn down.
“我正需要這個。道路上障礙重重,必須一一排除。
Jane, you would not repent marrying me -- be certain of that; we must be married.
簡,跟我結婚你不會后悔的。肯定是這樣,我們一定得結婚,
I repeat it: there is no other way;
我再說一句,沒有別的路可走了。
and undoubtedly enough of love would follow upon marriage to render the union right even in your eyes."
毫無疑問,結婚以后,愛情會隨之而生,足以使這樣的婚姻在你看來也是正確的。”