The veil fell from his hardness and despotism.
面罩從他冷酷和專橫的面孔上落下。
Having felt in him the presence of these qualities, I felt his imperfection and took courage.
我一旦覺得他身上存在著這些品質,便感到他并非完美無缺了,因而也就鼓起了勇氣。
I was with an equal -- one with whom I might argue -- one whom, if I saw good, I might resist.
我與一位同等的人在一起——我可以與他爭辯——如果認為妥當,還可以抗拒。
He was silent after I had uttered the last sentence, and I presently risked an upward glance at his countenance.
我說了最后一句話后,他沉默了。我立刻大膽地抬頭去看他的面容。
His eye, bent on me, expressed at once stern surprise and keen inquiry.
他的目光對著我,既表示子驚訝,又露出了急切的探詢之情。
"Is she sarcastic, and sarcastic to me!" it seemed to say.
“她可在嘲弄?是嘲弄我嗎?”這目光仿佛說。
"What does this signify?"
“那是什么意思呢?”
"Do not let us forget that this is a solemn matter," he said ere long;
“別讓我們忘記這是一件嚴肅的事情,”過了一會兒他說。
"one of which we may neither think nor talk lightly without sin.
“這是一件我們無論輕率地想,還是輕率地談都不免有罪的事。
I trust, Jane, you are in earnest when you say you will serve your heart to God: it is all I want.
簡,我相信你說把心交給上帝的時候,你是真誠的。我就只要你這樣。
Once wrench your heart from man, and fix it on your Maker, the advancement of that Maker's spiritual kingdom on earth will be your chief delight and endeavour;
一旦你把心從人那兒掏出來,交給了上帝,那么在世上推進上帝的精神王國會成為你的樂趣和事業。
you will be ready to do at once whatever furthers that end.
凡能推動這一目標的一切,你都準備立即去做。
You will see what impetus would be given to your efforts and mine by our physical and mental union in marriage:
你就會看到我們肉體和精神上的結合,將會對你我的努力有多大的促進!
the only union that gives a character of permanent conformity to the destinies and designs of human beings;
只有這種結合才能給人類的命運和設想以一種永久一致的特性。
and, passing over all minor caprices -- all trivial difficulties and delicacies of feeling --
而且只要你擺脫一切瑣細的任性——克服感情上的一切細小障礙和嬌氣——
all scruple about the degree, kind, strength or tenderness of mere personal inclination -- you will hasten to enter into that union at once."
放棄考慮個人愛好的程度、種類、力量或是柔情——你就會立刻急于要達成這種結合。”
"Shall I?" I said briefly;
“我會嗎?”我簡短地說。
at his tall, imposing figure and fancied myself in idea his wife,
看著他高大魁梧的身材,想象自己是他的妻子,
and I looked at his features, beautiful in their harmony, but strangely formidable in their still severity;
我瞧著他的五官,它們漂亮勻稱,但呆板嚴肅,出奇地可怕;
at his brow, commanding but not open;
我瞧著他的額頭,它威嚴卻并不舒展;
at his eyes, bright and deep and searching, but never soft;
我瞧著他的眼睛,它們明亮、深沉、銳利,卻從不溫柔;