at his tall imposing figure; and fancied myself in idea his wife.
我瞧著他那高高的、威嚴的身子,設想我自己是他的妻子!
Oh! it would never do!
呵!這絕對不行!
As his curate, his comrade, all would be right: I would cross oceans with him in that capacity;
作他的副牧師,他的同事,那一切都沒有問題。我要以那樣的身份同他一起漂洋過海,
toil under Eastern suns, in Asian deserts with him in that office;
在東方的日頭下勞作;以那樣的職責與他同赴亞洲的沙漠,
admire and emulate his courage and devotion and vigour;
欽佩和仿效他的勇氣、忠誠和活力;
accommodate quietly to his masterhood; smile undisturbed at his ineradicable ambition;
默默地聽任他的控制;自由自在地笑他根深蒂固的雄心;
discriminate the Christian from the man: profoundly esteem the one, and freely forgive the other.
區別基督教徒和一般人,對其中一個深為敬重,對另一個隨意寬耍毫無疑問,
I should suffer often, no doubt, attached to him only in this capacity:
僅以這樣的身份依附他,我常常會感到痛苦。
my body would be under rather a stringent yoke, but my heart and mind would be free.
我的肉體將會置于緊緊的枷瑣之中,不過我的心靈和思想卻是自由的。
I should still have my unblighted self to turn to: my natural unenslaved feelings with which to communicate in moments of loneliness.
我仍然還可以轉向沒有枯萎的自我,也就是那未受奴役的自然的感情,在孤獨的時刻我還可以與這種感情交流。
There would be recesses in my mind which would be only mine, to which he never came,
在我的心田里有著一個只屬于我的角落,他永遠到不了那里,
and sentiments growing there fresh and sheltered which his austerity could never blight, nor his measured warrior-march trample down:
情感在那里發展,新鮮而又隱蔽。他的嚴酷無法使它枯竭,他那勇士般的整齊步伐,也無法將它踏倒。
but as his wife -- at his side always, and always restrained, and always checked --
但是做他的妻子,永遠在他身邊,永遠受到束縛,永遠需要克制——
forced to keep the fire of my nature continually low, to compel it to burn inwardly and never utter a cry,
不得不將天性之火壓得很小,迫使它只在內心燃燒,永遠不喊出聲來,
though the imprisoned flame consumed vital after vital -- this would be unendurable.
盡管被禁錮的火焰銷蝕了一個又一個器官——這簡直難以忍受。
"St. John!" I exclaimed, when I had got so far in my meditation.
“圣·約翰!”我想得那么遠時叫了出來。
"Well?" he answered icily.
“嗯?”他冷冷地回答。
"I repeat I freely consent to go with you as your fellow-missionary, but not as your wife;
“我重復一遍,我欣然同意作為你的傳教士伙伴跟你去,但不作為你的妻子。
I cannot marry you and become part of you."
我不能嫁你,成為你的一部分。”