What struggle there was in him between Nature and Grace in this interval, I cannot tell:
在這間隙,天性與情理之間究竟如何搏斗著,我說不上來,
only singular gleams scintillated in his eyes, and strange shadows passed over his face.
他的眼睛閃著奇異的光芒,奇怪的陰影掠過他的面孔。
He spoke at last.
他終于開口了。
"I before proved to you the absurdity of a single woman of your age proposing to accompany abroad a single man of mine.
“我以前曾向你證明,像你這般年紀的單身女人,陪伴像我這樣的男人是荒唐的。
I proved it to you in such terms as, I should have thought, would have prevented your ever again alluding to the plan.
我已把話說到這樣的地步,我想你不會再提起這個打算了。
That you have done so, I regret -- for your sake."
很遺憾你居然還是提了——為你感到遺憾。”
I interrupted him.
我打斷了他。
Anything like a tangible reproach gave me courage at once.
類似這種具體的責備反而立刻給了我勇氣。
"Keep to common sense, St. John: you are verging on nonsense.
“你要通情理,圣·約翰!你近乎胡言亂語了。
You pretend to be shocked by what I have said.
你假裝對我所說的感到震驚,
You are not really shocked: for, with your superior mind,
其實你并沒有,因為像你這樣出色的腦袋,
you cannot be either so dull or so conceited as to misunderstand my meaning.
不可能那么遲鈍,或者自負,以致于誤解我的意思。
I say again, I will be your curate, if you like, but never your wife."
我再說一次,要是你高興,我可以當你的副牧師,而不是你妻子。”
Again he turned lividly pale; but, as before, controlled his passion perfectly.
他再次臉色刷白,但像以前一樣還是完全控制住了自己的感情。
He answered emphatically but calmly --
他的回答很有力卻也很鎮靜:
"A female curate, who is not my wife, would never suit me.
“一個不做我妻子的女副牧師,對我絕不合適。
With me, then, it seems, you cannot go: but if you are sincere in your offer,
那么看來,你是不能同我去了。但要是你的建議很誠心,
I will, while in town, speak to a married missionary, whose wife needs a coadjutor.
那我去鎮上的時候可以同一個已婚的教士說說,他的妻子需要一個助手。
Your own fortune will make you independent of the Society's aid;
你有自己的財產,不必依賴教會的贊助,
and thus you may still be spared the dishonour of breaking your promise and deserting the band you engaged to join."
這樣,你就不會因為失信和毀約而感到恥辱。”