I had finished the business now.
這下可完蛋了。
While earnestly wishing to erase from his mind the trace of my former offence,
我原是希望從他的腦海里抹去以前的傷痕,
I had stamped on that tenacious surface another and far deeper impression, I had burnt it in.
卻不料在它堅韌的表面上打上了更深的印記,我已經把它烙到里面去了。
"Now you will indeed hate me," I said.
“現在你真的恨我了,”我說,
"It is useless to attempt to conciliate you: I see I have made an eternal enemy of you."
“再要同你和解也沒有用了。我知道我已把你變成了永久的敵人?!?span style="white-space:normal;">
A fresh wrong did these words inflict: the worse, because they touched on the truth.
這些話好似雪上加霜,因為觸及事實而更加傷人。
That bloodless lip quivered to a temporary spasm.
沒有血色的嘴唇抖動著一下子抽搐起來。
I knew the steely ire I had whetted.
我知道我己煽起了鋼刀一般的憤怒。
I was heart-wrung.
我心里痛苦不堪。
"You utterly misinterpret my words," I said, at once seizing his hand:
“你完全誤解了我的話,”我立刻抓住他的手說,
"I have no intention to grieve or pain you -- indeed, I have not."
“我無意讓你難受或痛苦——真的,我沒有這個意思。”
Most bitterly he smiled -- most decidedly he withdrew his hand from mine.
他苦笑著——非常堅決地把手抽了回去。
"And now you recall your promise, and will not go to India at all, I presume?"
“我想,現在你收回你的允諾,根本不去印度了,是嗎?”
said he, after a considerable pause.
一陣相當長的靜默之后他說。
"Yes, I will, as your assistant," I answered.
“不,我要去的,當你的助手,”我回答。
A very long silence succeeded.
接著是一陣很長的沉默。