"It remains for me, then," he said,
那么,”他說,
"to remember you in my prayers, and to entreat God for you, in all earnestness, that you may not indeed become a castaway.
“就讓我在禱告中記住你,真誠地祈求上帝不讓你真的成為棄兒。
I had thought I recognised in you one of the chosen.
我想我已認為你是主的選民了。
But God sees not as man sees: His will be done."
不過上帝的眼光跟人的不一樣,他的才真正起作用。”
He opened the gate, passed through it, and strayed away down the glen.
他打開了柵門,走了出去,溜達著行下峽谷,
He was soon out of sight.
很快就不見了。
On re-entering the parlour, I found Diana standing at the window, looking very thoughtful.
我再次進入客廳的時候,發覺黛安娜佇立窗邊,看上去若有所思,
Diana was a great deal taller than I:
她個子比我高得多。
she put her hand on my shoulder, and, stooping, examined my face.
她把手搭在我肩上,俯身端詳起我的臉來。
"Jane," she said, "you are always agitated and pale now.
“簡,”她說,“現在你總是臉色蒼白,焦躁不安。
I am sure there is something the matter.
肯定是出了什么事了。
Tell me what business St. John and you have on hands.
告訴我,圣·約翰同你在鬧什么別扭。
I have watched you this half hour from the window;
我從這扇窗看了半個小時了。
you must forgive my being such a spy, but for a long time I have fancied I hardly know what.
你得原諒我那么暗中監視你,但過了好久我還不知道自己是怎么回事。
St. John is a strange being" ----
圣·約翰是個怪人——
She paused -- I did not speak: soon she resumed: --
”她頓了一下一一我沒有吱聲、她立刻接著說——:
"That brother of mine cherishes peculiar views of some sort respecting you, I am sure:
“我這位哥哥對你的看法非同一般,我敢肯定。
he has long distinguished you by a notice and interest he never showed to any one else -- to what end?
他早就對你特別注意和關心了,對別人可從來沒有這樣——什么目的呢?
I wish he loved you -- does he, Jane?"
但愿他愛上了你——他愛你嗎,簡?”
I put her cool hand to my hot forehead; "No, Die, not one whit."
我把她冷冰冰的手放在我發燙的額頭上:“不,黛,沒有那回事兒。”
"Then why does he follow you so with his eyes, and get you so frequently alone with him, and keep you so continually at his side?
“那他干嘛眼睛老盯著你——老是要你同他單獨在一起,而且一直把你留在他身邊?
Mary and I had both concluded he wished you to marry him."
瑪麗和我都斷定他希望你嫁給他。”