"Humility, Jane," said he, "is the groundwork of Christian virtues: you say right that you are not fit for the work.
“謙卑,簡,”他說,“是基督美德的基矗你說得很對,你不適合這一工作。
Who is fit for it?
可誰適合呢?
Or who, that ever was truly called, believed himself worthy of the summons?
或者,那些真正受召喚的人,誰相信自己是配受召喚的呢?
I, for instance, am but dust and ashes.
以我來說,不過是塵灰草芥而己,
With St. Paul, I acknowledge myself the chiefest of sinners;
跟圣·保爾相比,我承認自己是最大的罪人。
but I do not suffer this sense of my personal vileness to daunt me.
但我不允許這種個人的罪惡感使自己畏縮不前。
I know my Leader: that He is just as well as mighty; and while He has chosen a feeble instrument to perform a great task,
我知道我的領路人。他公正而偉大,在選擇一個微弱的工具來成就一項大事業時,
He will, from the boundless stores of His providence, supply the inadequacy of the means to the end.
他會借助上帝無窮的貯藏,為實現目標而彌補手段上不足。
Think like me, Jane -- trust like me.
你我一樣去想吧,簡——像我一樣去相信吧。
It is the Rock of Ages I ask you to lean on: do not doubt but it will bear the weight of your human weakness."
我要你倚靠的是永久的磐石,不要懷疑,它會承受住你人性缺陷的負荷。”
"I do not understand a missionary life: I have never studied missionary labours."
“我不了解傳教士生活,從來沒有研究過傳教士的勞動。”
"There I, humble as I am, can give you the aid you want:
“聽著,盡管我也很卑微,但我可以給予你所需要的幫助,
I can set you your task from hour to hour; stand by you always; help you from moment to moment.
可以把工作一小時一小時布置給你,常常支持你,時時幫助你。
This I could do in the beginning: soon (for I know your powers) you would be as strong and apt as myself, and would not require my help."
開始的時候我可以這么做,不久之后(因為我知道你的能力)你會像我一樣強,一樣合適,不需要我的幫助。”
"But my powers -- where are they for this undertaking?
“可是我的能力呢,——要承擔這一工作,又從何談起?
I do not feel them. Nothing speaks or stirs in me while you talk.
我感覺不到燈火在燃燒起——
I am sensible of no light kindling -- no life quickening -- no voice counselling or cheering.
感覺不到生命在加劇搏動——感覺不到有個聲音在勸戒和鼓勵我。
Oh, I wish I could make you see how much my mind is at this moment like a rayless dungeon,
呵,但愿我能讓你看到,這會兒我的心象一個沒有光線的牢房,
with one shrinking fear fettered in its depths -- the fear of being persuaded by you to attempt what I cannot accomplish!"
它的角落里銬著一種畏畏縮縮的憂慮——那就是擔心自己被你說服,去做我無法完成的事情。”