The glen and sky spun round: the hills heaved!
溪谷和天空頓時旋轉起來,群山也翻騰起伏:
It was as if I had heard a summons from Heaven -- as if a visionary messenger, like him of Macedonia, had enounced,
我仿佛聽到了上天的召喚——仿佛像馬其頓那樣的一位幻覺使者已經宣布:
"Come over and help us!"
“過來幫助我們,”
But I was no apostle, -- I could not behold the herald, -- I could not receive his call.
但我不是使徒——我看不見那位使者——我接受不到他的召喚。
"Oh, St. John!" I cried, "have some mercy!"
“呵,圣·約翰!”我叫道,“憐憫憐憫吧!”
I appealed to one who, in the discharge of what he believed his duty, knew neither mercy nor remorse.
我在向一個自以為在履行職責,不知道憐憫和同情的人請求。
He continued: --"God and nature intended you for a missionary's wife.
他繼續說:“上帝和大自然要你做一個傳教士的妻子,
It is not personal, but mental endowments they have given you: you are formed for labour, not for love.
他們給予你的不是肉體上的能力,而是精神上的票賦。你生來是為了操勞,而不是為了愛情。
A missionary's wife you must -- shall be.
你得做傳教士的妻子——一定得做。
You shall be mine: I claim you -- not for my pleasure, but for my Sovereign's service."
你將屬于我的,我要你——不是為了取樂,而是為了對主的奉獻。”
"I am not fit for it: I have no vocation," I said.
“我不適合,我沒有意志力,”我說。
He had calculated on these first objections: he was not irritated by them.
他估計到一開始我會反對,所以并沒有被我的話所激怒。
Indeed, as he leaned back against the crag behind him, folded his arms on his chest, and fixed his countenance,
說真的他倚在背后的一塊巖石上,雙臂抱著放在胸前,臉色鎮定沉著。
I saw he was prepared for a long and trying opposition, and had taken in a stock of patience to last him to its close --
我明白他早己準備好對付長久惱人的反抗,而且蓄足了耐心堅持到底——
resolved, however, that that close should be conquest for him.
決心以他對別人的征服而告終。