"Yes," said he, "there is my glory and joy.
“不錯,”他說,“那是我的光榮,也是我的歡樂。
I am the servant of an infallible Master.
我是永不出錯的主的一個奴仆。
I am not going out under human guidance, subject to the defective laws and erring control of my feeble fellow-worms:
我出門遠游不是在凡人的指引之下,不受有缺陷的法規的制約,不受軟弱無力的同類可憐蟲的錯誤控制。
my king, my lawgiver, my captain, is the All-perfect.
我的國王,我的立法者,我的首領是盡善盡美的主。
It seems strange to me that all round me do not burn to enlist under the same banner, -- to join in the same enterprise."
我覺得奇怪,我周圍的人為什么不熱血沸騰,投到同一面旗幟下來——參加同一項事業。”
"All have not your powers, and it would be folly for the feeble to wish to march with the strong."
“并不是所有的人都具有你那樣的毅力。弱者希望同強者并駕齊驅是愚蠢的。”
"I do not speak to the feeble, or think of them:
“我說的不是弱者,想到的也不是他們。
I address only such as are worthy of the work, and competent to accomplish it."
我只同那些與那工作相配,并能勝任的人說話。”
"Those are few in number, and difficult to discover."
“那些人為數不多,而且很難發現。”
"You say truly; but when found, it is right to stir them up -- to urge and exhort them to the effort --
“你說得很對,但一經發現,就要把他們鼓動起來——敦促和激勵他們去作出努力——
to show them what their gifts are, and why they were given -- to speak Heaven's message in their ear, --
告訴他們自己的才能何在,又是怎么被賦予的——向他們耳朵傳遞上天的信息——
to offer them, direct from God, a place in the ranks of His chosen."
直接代表上帝,在選民的隊伍中給他們一個位置。”
"If they are really qualified for the task, will not their own hearts be the first to inform them of it?"
“要是他們確實能勝任那工作,那么他們的心靈豈不第一個得到感應?”
I felt as if an awful charm was framing round and gathering over me:
我仿佛覺得一種可怕的魔力在我周圍和頭頂積聚起來。
I trembled to hear some fatal word spoken which would at once declare and rivet the spell.
我顫栗著,唯恐聽到某些會立即召來釋放能力的致命的話。
"And what does your heart say?" demanded St. John.
“那么你的心怎么說呀?”圣·約翰問。
"My heart is mute, -- my heart is mute," I answered, struck and thrilled.
“我的心沒有說——我的心沒有說,”我回答,直嚇得手骨悚然。
"Then I must speak for it," continued the deep, relentless voice.
“那我得替它說了,”他繼續說,語調深沉冷酷。
"Jane, come with me to India: come as my helpmeet and fellow-labourer."
“簡,跟我一起去印度吧,做個伴侶和同事。”