Having stifled my sobs, wiped my eyes, and muttered something about not being very well that morning, I resumed my task, and succeeded in completing it.
我止住了哽咽,擦去了眼淚,嘟噥著說是早上身體不好,又繼續我的功課,并終于完成了,
St. John put away my books and his, locked his desk, and said: --
圣·約翰把我的書和他的書放在一邊,鎖了書桌,說:——
"Now, Jane, you shall take a walk; and with me."
“好吧,簡,你得去散散步,同我一起去。”
"I will call Diana and Mary."
“我來叫黛安娜和瑪麗。”
"No; I want only one companion this morning, and that must be you.
“不,今天早上我只要一個人陪伴,一定得是你。
Put on your things; go out by the kitchen-door:
穿上衣服,從廚房門出去,
take the road towards the head of Marsh Glen: I will join you in a moment."
順著通往沼澤谷源頭的路走,我馬上會趕來的。”
I know no medium: I never in my life have known any medium in my dealings with positive, hard characters, antagonistic to my own, between absolute submission and determined revolt.
我不知道有折中的辦法。在與同我自己的性格相左的那種自信冷酷的個性打交道時,我不知道在絕對屈服和堅決反抗之間,生活中還有什么中間道路。
I have always faithfully observed the one, up to the very moment of bursting, sometimes with volcanic vehemence, into the other;
我往往忠實執行一種方法,有時終于到了似火山噴涌,一觸即發的地步,接著便轉變成執行另一種方法了。
and as neither present circumstances warranted, nor my present mood inclined me to mutiny,
既然眼前的情況不能保證我起來反抗,而我此刻的心境又無意反抗,
I observed careful obedience to St. John's directions;
我便審慎地服從了圣·約翰的指令,
and in ten minutes I was treading the wild track of the glen, side by side with him.
十分鐘后。我與他并肩踩在幽谷的野徑上了。
The breeze was from the west: it came over the hills, sweet with scents of heath and rush;
微風從四面吹來,飄過山巒,帶來了歐石南和燈心草的芳香。
the sky was of stainless blue; the stream descending the ravine, swelled with past spring rains,
天空湛藍湛藍,小溪因為下過春雨而上漲,
poured along plentiful and clear, catching golden gleams from the sun, and sapphire tints from the firmament.
溪水流下山谷,充盈清沏,從太陽那兒借得了金光,從天空中吸取了藍寶石的色澤。
As we advanced and left the track, we trod a soft turf, mossy fine and emerald green,
我們往前走著離開了小徑,踏上了一塊細如苔蘚、青如綠寶石的柔軟草地,
minutely enamelled with a tiny white flower, and spangled with a star-like yellow blossom:
草地上精細地點綴著一種白色的小花,并閃耀著一種星星似的黃花。
the hills, meantime, shut us quite in; for the glen, towards its head, wound to their very core.
山巒包圍著我們,因為溪谷在靠近源頭的地方蜿蜒伸到了山巒之中。