"Yes," I said; "but I could not go on for ever so:
“是呀,”我說,“但我不能永遠這么干下去。
I want to enjoy my own faculties as well as to cultivate those of other people.
我不但要培養別人的能力,而且也要發揮自己的能力。
I must enjoy them now; don't recall either my mind or body to the school;
現在就得發揮。別讓我再把身心都投進學校,
I am out of it and disposed for full holiday."
我已經擺脫,一心只想度假了。”
He looked grave.
他神情很嚴肅。
"What now? What sudden eagerness is this you evince?
“怎么啦?你突然顯得那么急切,這是什么意思?
What are you going to do?"
你打算干什么呢?”
"To be active: as active as I can.
“要活躍起來,要盡我所能活躍起來,
And first I must beg you to set Hannah at liberty, and get somebody else to wait on you."
首先我得求你讓漢娜走,另找別人服侍你。”
"Do you want her?"
“你要她嗎?”
"Yes, to go with me to Moor House.
“是的。讓她同我一起去沼澤居。
Diana and Mary will be at home in a week, and I want to have everything in order against their arrival."
黛安娜和瑪麗一周之后就回家,我要把一切都拾掇得整整齊齊,迎接她們到來。”
"I understand. I thought you were for flying off on some excursion.
“我理解。我還以為你要去遠游呢。
It is better so: Hannah shall go with you."
不過這樣也好,漢娜跟你走。”
"Tell her to be ready by to-morrow then; and here is the schoolroom key: I will give you the key of my cottage in the morning."
“那么通知她明天以前作好準備。這是教室鑰匙。明天早上我會把小屋的鑰匙交給你。”
He took it. "You give it up very gleefully," said he;
他拿了鑰匙。“你高高興興地歇手了,”他說,
"I don't quite understand your light-heartedness,
“我并不十分理解你輕松的心情,
because I cannot tell what employment you propose to yourself as a substitute for the one you are relinquishing.
因為我不知道你放棄這項工作后,要找什么工作來代替。
What aim, what purpose, what ambition in life have you now?"
現在你生活中的目標、目的和雄心是什么?”
"My first aim will be to clean down (do you comprehend the full force of the expression?) --
“我的第一個目標是清理(你理解這個詞的全部力量嗎?),
to clean down Moor House from chamber to cellar;
把沼澤居從房間到地窖清理一遍;
my next to rub it up with bees-wax, oil, and an indefinite number of cloths, till it glitters again;
第二個目標是用蜂蠟、油和數不清的布頭把房子擦得锃亮;
my third, to arrange every chair, table, bed, carpet, with mathematical precision;
第三個目標是按數學的精密度來安排每一件椅子、桌子、床和地毯,
afterwards I shall go near to ruin you in coals and peat to keep up good fires in every room;
再后我要差不多耗盡你的煤和泥炭,把每個房間都生起熊熊的爐火來。