"You think so now," rejoined St. John,
“你現在是這樣想的,”圣·約翰回答,
"because you do not know what it is to possess, nor consequently to enjoy wealth:
“因為你不知道擁有財富或者因此而享受財富是什么滋味;
you cannot form a notion of the importance twenty thousand pounds would give you;
你還不能想象二萬英鎊會使你怎樣變得舉足輕重,
of the place it would enable you to take in society; of the prospects it would open to you: you cannot" ----
會使你在社會中獲得怎樣高的地位,以及會為你開辟怎樣廣闊的前景。你不能——”
"And you," I interrupted, "cannot at all imagine the craving I have for fraternal and sisterly love.
“而你,”我打斷了他,“絕對無法想象我多么渴望兄弟姐妹之情。
I never had a home, I never had brothers or sisters;
我從來沒有家,從來沒有兄弟或姐妹。
I must and will have them now: you are not reluctant to admit me and own me, are you?"
我現在必須,也不一定要有,你不會不愿接受我承認我,是嗎?”
"Jane, I will be your brother -- my sisters will be your sisters -- without stipulating for this sacrifice of your just rights."
“簡,我會成為你的哥哥——我的妹妹會成為你的姐姐——而不必把犧牲自己的正當權利作為條件。”
"Brother? Yes; at the distance of a thousand leagues! Sisters?
“哥哥?不錯,相距一千里路之遙!姐姐們?
Yes; slaving amongst strangers!
不錯,為陌生人當牛做馬!
I, wealthy -- gorged with gold I never earned and do not merit!
我,家財萬貫——裝滿了我從未掙過,也不配有的金子。
You, penniless! Famous equality and fraternisation!
而你,身無分文!這就是赫赫有名的平等和友愛!
Close union! Intimate attachment!"
多么緊密的團聚:何等親切的依戀!”
"But, Jane, your aspirations after family ties and domestic happiness may be realised otherwise than by the means you contemplate: you may marry."
“可是,簡,你渴望的親屬關系和家庭幸福,可以不通過你所設想的方法來實現。你可以嫁人。”
"Nonsense, again! Marry! I don't want to marry, and never shall marry."
“又胡說八道啦!嫁人!我不想嫁人,永遠不嫁。”