"I have intimated my view of the case: I am incapable of taking any other.
“我已經談了我對這件事的想法,我不可能有別的想法。
I am not brutally selfish, blindly unjust, or fiendishly ungrateful.
我不是一個極端自私、盲目不公和完全忘恩負義的人。
Besides, I am resolved I will have a home and connections.
此外,我決心有一個家,有親戚。
I like Moor House, and I will live at Moor House;
我喜歡沼澤居,想住在沼澤居,
I like Diana and Mary, and I will attach myself for life to Diana and Mary.
我喜歡黛安娜和瑪麗,要與她們相依為命。
It would please and benefit me to have five thousand pounds;
五千英鎊對我有用,也使我高興;
it would torment and oppress me to have twenty thousand;
二萬英鎊會折磨我,壓抑我。
which, moreover, could never be mine in justice, though it might in law.
何況盡管在法律上屬于我,在道義上不該屬于我。
I abandon to you, then, what is absolutely superfluous to me.
那么我就把完全多余的東西留給你們。
Let there be no opposition, and no discussion about it; let us agree amongst each other, and decide the point at once."
不要再反對,再討論了,讓我們彼此同意,立刻把它決定下來吧。”
"This is acting on first impulses; you must take days to consider such a matter, ere your word can be regarded as valid."
“這種做法是出于一時的沖動,你得花幾天考慮這樣的事情,你的話才可算數。”
"Oh! if all you doubt is my sincerity, I am easy: you see the justice of the case?"
“呵,要是你懷疑我的誠意,那很容易,你看這樣的處理公平不公平?”
"I do see a certain justice; but it is contrary to all custom.
“我確實看到了某種公平,但這違背習慣。
Besides, the entire fortune is your right: my uncle gained it by his own efforts; he was free to leave it to whom he would: he left it to you.
此外,整筆財產的權利屬于你,我舅舅通過自己的努力掙得這份財產,他愛留給誰就可以留給誰。
After all, justice permits you to keep it: you may, with a clear conscience, consider it absolutely your own."
最后他留給了你。公道畢竟允許你留著,你可以心安理得地認為它完全屬于你自己。”
"With me," said I, "it is fully as much a matter of feeling as of conscience: I must indulge my feelings;
“對我來說,”我說,“這既是一個十足的良心問題,也是個情感問題。我得遷就我的情感。
I so seldom have had an opportunity of doing so.
我難得有機會這么做。
Were you to argue, object, and annoy me for a year, I could not forego the delicious pleasure of which I have caught a glimpse --
即使你爭辯、反對、惹惱我一年,我也不能放棄已經見了一眼的無上歡樂——
that of repaying, in part, a mighty obligation, and winning to myself lifelong friends."
那就是部份報答大恩大德,為我自己贏得終身的朋友。”