How I looked while these ideas were taking my spirit by storm, I cannot tell;
這些想法突然向我的靈魂襲來時,我的神態加何,我無從知道。
but I perceived soon that Mr. Rivers had placed a chair behind me, and was gently attempting to make me sit down on it.
但我很快覺察到里弗斯先生已在我背后放了一把椅子,和和氣氣地要我坐在上面。
He also advised me to be composed;
他還建議我要鎮靜。
I scorned the insinuation of helplessness and distraction, shook off his hand, and began to walk about again.
我對暗示我束手無策、神經錯亂的做法嗤之以鼻,把他的手推開,又開始走動起來,
"Write to Diana and Mary to-morrow," I said, "and tell them to come home directly.
“明天就寫信給黛安娜和瑪麗,”我說,“叫她們馬上回家來,
Diana said they would both consider themselves rich with a thousand pounds, so with five thousand they will do very well."
黛安娜說要是有一千英鎊,她們倆就會認為自己有錢了,那么有了五千英鎊,就很有錢了。”
"Tell me where I can get you a glass of water," said St. John;
“告訴我哪兒可以給你弄杯水來,”圣·約翰說,
"you must really make an effort to tranquillise your feelings."
“你真的得努力一下,使你的感情平靜下來。”
"Nonsense! and what sort of an effect will the bequest have on you?
“胡說!這筆遺贈對你會有什么影響呢?
Will it keep you in England, induce you to marry Miss Oliver, and settle down like an ordinary mortal?"
會使你留在英國,誘使你娶奧利弗小姐,像一個普通人那樣安頓下來嗎?”
"You wander: your head becomes confused.
“你神經錯亂,頭腦胡涂了。
I have been too abrupt in communicating the news; it has excited you beyond your strength."
我把這個消息告訴得太突然,讓你興奮得失去了自制。”
"Mr. Rivers! you quite put me out of patience:
“里弗斯先生!你弄得我很有些不耐煩了。
I am rational enough; it is you who misunderstand, or rather who affect to misunderstand."
我十分清醒。而正是你誤解了我的意思,或者不如說假裝誤解我的意思。”
"Perhaps, if you explained yourself a little more fully, I should comprehend better."
“也許要是你解釋得再詳細一點,我就更明白了。”
"Explain! What is there to explain?
“解釋!有什么需要解釋?
You cannot fail to see that twenty thousand pounds, the sum in question,
你不會不知道,二萬英鎊,也就是提到的這筆錢,
divided equally between the nephew and three nieces of our uncle, will give five thousand to each?
在一個外甥,三個外甥女和侄女之間平分,各得五千?
What I want is, that you should write to your sisters and tell them of the fortune that has accrued to them."
我所要求的是,你應當寫信給你的妹妹們,告訴她們所得的財產。”
"To you, you mean."
“你的意思是你所得的財產。”