Whether they become Whoppers or boutique grass-fed steaks, cows produce an enormous amount of greenhouse gas.
無論最終是被做成皇堡還是被做成精美的草飼牛排,肉牛產生的溫室氣體的量都是極大的。
If cows were a country, they would be the third-largest greenhouse gas emitter in the world.
如果所有肉牛組成一個國家,它們將會是世界第三大溫室氣體排放國。
According to the research director of Project Drawdown —
據“減排計劃”(Project Drawdown)——
a nonprofit organization dedicated to modeling solutions to address climate change —
一個致力于通過建模解決氣候變化問題的非營利性組織——項目研究主管透露,
eating a plant-based diet is "the most important contribution every individual can make to reversing global warming."
走植物性飲食道路是“大家能為扭轉全球變暖趨勢做出的最重要的貢獻,而且人人都能做到”。
Americans overwhelmingly accept the science of climate change.
美國民眾大都認可氣候變化方面的科學研究。
A majority of both Republicans and Democrats say that the United States should have remained in the Paris climate accord.
大部分共和黨人和民主黨人都一致認為,美國不應退出《巴黎氣候協定》。
We don't need new information, and we don't need new values.
我們需要的不是新信息,也不是新的價值觀。
We only need to walk through the open door.
我們需要的只是走進那扇已經敞開的大門。
We cannot claim to care about the humane treatment of animals while continuing to eat meat regularly.
一邊揚言我們在意動物是否受到人道待遇,一邊繼續保持定期吃肉的習慣是不行的。
The farming system we rely on is woven through with misery.
吃肉依賴的養殖體系已經充滿痛苦。
Modern chickens have been so genetically modified that their very bodies have become prisons of pain even if we open their cages.
如今的雞由于基因被改造得太多,身體早已成為它們的囚籠,即便我們打開籠子,它們也得不到解脫。
Turkeys are bred to be so obese that they are incapable of reproducing without artificial insemination.
人工培育的火雞由于體型太過肥胖,已經到了離開人工授精就無法自然繁殖的地步。
Mother cows have their calves ripped from them before weaning,
小牛犢斷奶前就會被從母牛身邊奪走,
resulting in acute distress we can hear in their wails and empirically measure through the cortisol in their bodies.
結果就是,無論是母牛的哀嚎,還是對它們體內皮質醇水平的檢測,我們都不難聽出或看出它們的悲痛。
No label or certification can avoid these kinds of cruelty.
無論農場有著怎樣的標簽,怎樣的認證,都避不開這些殘忍的行為。
We don't need any animal rights activist waving a finger at us.
我們無需任何動物權益保護者對我們指手畫腳。
We don't need to be convinced of anything we don't already know.
也無需認同任何我們尚不知曉的道理。
We need to listen to ourselves.
我們只需傾聽我們內心的聲音。
We cannot protect against pandemics while continuing to eat meat regularly.
繼續保持定期吃肉的習慣,我們就無法阻止下一輪疫情的到來。
Much attention has been paid to wet markets,
水產市場已經受到了重視,
but factory farms, specifically poultry farms, are a more important breeding ground for pandemics.
問題是,工廠化養殖場,尤其是家禽養殖場,比水產市場還要容易滋生流行病。
Further, the C.D.C. reports that three out of four new or emerging infectious diseases are zoonotic —
此外,CDC報告顯示,每四種新出現的傳染病中有三種都是動物傳播給人的——
the result of our broken relationship with animals.
換句話說,就是人與動物關系失衡的結果。
譯文由可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載。