CHAPTER XXXII
第三十二章
I CONTINUED the labours of the village-school as actively and faithfully as I could.
我繼續為積極辦好鄉村學校盡心盡力。
It was truly hard work at first.
起初確實困難重重。
Some time elapsed before, with all my efforts, I could comprehend my scholars and their nature.
盡管我使出渾身解數,還是過了一段時間才了解我的學生和她們的天性。
Wholly untaught, with faculties quite torpid, they seemed to me hopelessly dull;
她們完全沒有受過教育,官能都很遲鈍,使我覺得這些人笨得無可救藥。
and, at first sight, all dull alike: but I soon found I was mistaken.
粗粗一看,個個都是呆頭呆腦的,但不久我便發現自己錯了。
There was a difference amongst them as amongst the educated;
就像受過教育的人之間是有區別的一樣,她們之間也有區別。
and when I got to know them, and they know me, this difference rapidly developed itself.
我了解她們,她們也了解我之后,這種區別很快便不知不覺地擴大了。
Their amazement at me, my language, my rules, and ways, once subsided,
一旦她們對我的語言、習慣和生活方式不再感到驚訝,
I found some of these heavy-looking, gaping rustics wake up into sharp-witted girls enough.
我便發現一些神態呆滯、目光遲鈍的鄉巴佬,蛻變成了頭腦機靈的姑娘。
Many showed themselves obliging, and amiable too;
很多人親切可愛很有禮貌。
and I discovered amongst them not a few examples of natural politeness, and innate self-respect,
我發現她們中間不少人天性就懂禮貌,自尊自愛,
as well as of excellent capacity, that won both my goodwill and my admiration.
很有能力,贏得了我的好感和敬佩。
These soon took a pleasure in doing their work well, in keeping their persons neat,
這些人不久便很樂意把工作做好,保持自身整潔,
in learning their tasks regularly, in acquiring quiet and orderly manners.
按時做功課,養成斯斯文文有條有理的習慣。
The rapidity of their progress, in some instances, was even surprising;
在某些方面,她們進步之快甚至令人吃驚,
and an honest and happy pride I took in it:
我真誠愉快地為此感到驕傲。
besides, I began personally to like some of the best girls; and they liked me.
另外,我本人也開始喜歡上幾位最好的姑娘,她們也喜歡我。