I saw his solemn eye melt with sudden fire, and flicker with resistless emotion.
看見他嚴肅的目光,已被突如其來的火花所融化,閃爍著難以克制的激情,因此他的臉燒得通紅。
Flushed and kindled thus, he looked nearly as beautiful for a man as she for a woman.
作為一個男子,他看上去幾乎象她作為一個女人那么漂亮。
His chest heaved once, as if his large heart, weary of despotic constriction,
他的胸部一度起伏著,仿佛那顆巨大的心對專橫的約束感到厭倦,
had expanded, despite the will, and made a vigorous bound for the attainment of liberty.
已經違背意志擴展起來,強勁有力地跳動了一下,希望獲得自由。
But he curbed it, I think, as a resolute rider would curb a rearing steed.
但他把它控制住了,我想就像一位堅定的騎手勒住了騰起的馬一樣。
He responded neither by word nor movement to the gentle advances made him.
對她那種飽含溫情的友好表示,他既沒用語言也沒通過動作來回答。
"Papa says you never come to see us now," continued Miss Oliver, looking up.
“爸爸說你現在從不來看我們了,”奧利弗小姐抬起頭來繼續說。
"You are quite a stranger at Vale Hall.
“你簡直成了溪谷莊園的陌生人了。
He is alone this evening, and not very well: will you return with me and visit him?"
今天晚上他只有一個人,而且不大舒服。你愿意同我一起回去看看他嗎?”
"It is not a seasonable hour to intrude on Mr. Oliver," answered St. John.
“現在這個時候去打擾奧利弗先生是不合時宜的,”圣·約翰回答。
"Not a seasonable hour! But I declare it is.
“不會不合時宜的!但我宣布現在恰是時候,
It is just the hour when papa most wants company: when the works are closed and he has no business to occupy him.
這是爸爸最需要有人陪伴的時刻。工廠一關,他便沒事可干了。
Now, Mr. Rivers, do come. Why are you so very shy, and so very sombre?"
好吧,里弗斯先生,你可—定得來。你干嘛這么怕羞,這么憂郁?”
She filled up the hiatus his silence left by a reply of her own.
她自己作了回答,填補了他的沉默所留下的空隙。
"I forgot!" she exclaimed, shaking her beautiful curled head, as if shocked at herself.
“我倒忘了,”她大叫起來,搖著美麗的、頭發卷曲的腦袋,仿佛對自己感到震驚。
"I am so giddy and thoughtless! Do excuse me.
“我實在是昏頭昏腦,太粗心大意了!請原諒我。
It had slipped my memory that you have good reasons to be indisposed for joining in my chatter.
我忘了你有充分的理由不愿意加入我的談話。
Diana and Mary have left you, and Moor House is shut up, and you are so lonely.
戴安娜和瑪麗離開了你,摩爾之家被關上了,你太孤獨了。
I am sure I pity you. Do come and see papa."
我肯定我同情你。一定要來看爸爸?!?/p>