At this period of my life, my heart far oftener swelled with thankfulness than sank with dejection:
在這段時間的生活中,我的心常常涌起感激之情,而沒有頹唐沮喪。
and yet, reader, to tell you all, in the midst of this calm, this useful existence --
可是,讀者呀,讓我全都告訴你吧,在平靜而充實的生活中——
after a day passed in honourable exertion amongst my scholars, an evening spent in drawing or reading contentedly alone --
白天為學生作出了高尚的努力,晚上心滿意足地獨自作畫和讀書——
I used to rush into strange dreams at night:
之后我常常匆匆忙忙地進入了夜間奇異的夢境,
dreams many-coloured, agitated, full of the ideal, the stirring, the stormy --
多姿多彩的夢,有騷動不安的、充滿理想的、激動人心的,也有急風驟雨式的——
dreams where, amidst unusual scenes, charged with adventure, with agitating risk and romantic chance,
這些夢有著千奇百怪的場景,充滿冒險的經歷,揪心的險情和浪漫的機遇。
I still again and again met Mr. Rochester, always at some exciting crisis;
夢中我依舊一次次遇見羅切斯特先生,往往是在激動人心的關鍵時刻。
and then the sense of being in his arms, hearing his voice, meeting his eye,
隨后我感到投入了他的懷抱,聽見了他的聲音,遇見了他的目光,
touching his hand and cheek, loving him, being loved by him --
碰到了他的手和臉頰,愛他而又被他所愛。
the hope of passing a lifetime at his side, would be renewed, with all its first force and fire.
于是重又燃起在他身邊度過一生的希望,像當初那么強烈,那么火熱,
Then I awoke.
隨后我醒了過來。
Then I recalled where I was, and how situated.
于是我想起了自己身在何處,處境如何。
Then I rose up on my curtainless bed, trembling and quivering;
接著我顫顫巍巍地從沒有帳幔的床上爬起來。
and then the still, dark night witnessed the convulsion of despair, and heard the burst of passion.
沉沉黑夜目睹了我絕望的痙攣,聽見了我怒火的爆發。
By nine o'clock the next morning I was punctually opening the school;
到了第二天早上九點,我按時開學,
tranquil, settled, prepared for the steady duties of the day.
平心靜氣地為一天的例行公事作好準備。
Rosamond Oliver kept her word in coming to visit me.
羅莎蒙德.奧利弗守信來看我。
Her call at the school was generally made in the course of her morning ride.
她一般是在早上遛馬時到學校里來的,
She would canter up to the door on her pony, followed by a mounted livery servant.
騎著她的小馬慢跑到門口,后面跟了一位騎馬的隨從。