"I was speaking of myself."
“我在說我自己。”
"Well, if you are not ambitious, you are" ---- He paused.
“嗯,要是你并不雄心勃勃,那你是——”他打住了。
"What?"
“是什么呢?”
"I was going to say, impassioned: but perhaps you would have misunderstood the word, and been displeased.
“我正要說多情,但也許你會誤解這個字,而會不高興。
I mean, that human affections and sympathies have a most powerful hold on you.
我的意思是,人類的愛心和同情心在你的身上表現得很強烈。
I am sure you cannot long be content to pass your leisure in solitude,
我確信你不會長期滿足于在孤寂中度過閑暇,
and to devote your working hours to a monotonous labour who lly void of stimulus:
把你的工作時間用于一項完全沒有刺激的單調勞動,”
any more than I can be content," he added, with emphasis,
他又強調著補充說,
"to live here buried in morass, pent in with mountains -- my nature, that God gave me, contravened;
“就象我不會滿足于住在這里,埋沒在沼澤地里,封閉在大山之中—一上帝賜予我的天性與此格格不入,
my faculties, heaven-bestowed, paralysed -- made useless.
上天所賦予的才能會被斷送——會弄得.一無用處。
You hear now how I contradict myself.
這會兒你聽見了我如何自相矛盾了吧。
I, who preached contentment with a humble lot, and justified the vocation even of hewers of wood and drawers of water in God's service --
我自己講道時說要安于自己卑賤的命運,只要為上帝效勞,即使當砍柴工和汲水人也心甘情愿一一
I, His ordained minister, almost rave in my restlessness.
而我,上帝所任命的牧師,幾乎是焦躁不安地咆哮著。
Well, propensities and principles must be reconciled by some means."
哎呀,愛好與原則總得想個辦法統一起來。”
He left the room.
他走出了房間。
In this brief hour I had learnt more of him than in the whole previous month: yet still he puzzled me.
短短的一小時之內,我對他的了解勝過于以前的一個月。不過他仍使我無法理解。
Diana and Mary Rivers became more sad and silent as the day approached for leaving their brother and their home.
隨著同哥哥和家園告別的日子越來越近,黛安娜和瑪麗.里弗斯也越來越傷心,越來越沉默了。
They both tried to appear as usual;
她們都想裝得同往常一樣,
bat the sorrow they had to struggle against was one that could not be entirely conquered or concealed.
但是她們所要驅除的憂愁是無法完全克制或是掩飾的。
Diana intimated that this would be a different parting from any they had ever yet known.
黛娜說,這次離別與以往所經歷的完全不同。
It would probably, as far as St. John was concerned, be a parting for years: it might be a parting for life.
就圣·約翰來說,那可能是一去幾年,也可能是一輩子。