He threw the letter into her lap.
他把信扔到她膝頭。
She glanced over it, and handed it to Mary.
她眼睛粗略地掃了一下,把它交給了瑪麗。
Mary perused it in silence, and returned it to her brother.
瑪麗默默地細讀著,后來又把信還給了她哥哥。
All three looked at each other, and all three smiled -- a dreary, pensive smile enough.
三人彼此你看我,我看你,都笑了起來——那是一種凄涼、憂郁的笑容。
"Amen! We can yet live," said Diana at last.
“阿門!我們還能活著,”黛安娜終于說。
"At any rate, it makes us no worse off than we were before," remarked Mary.
“不管怎么說,這并沒有弄得我們比以前更糟,”瑪麗說。
"Only it forces rather strongly on the mind the picture of what might have been," said Mr. Rivers,
“只不過它強行使人想起本來可能會出現的景象,”里弗斯先生說,
"and contrasts it somewhat too vividly with what is."
“而同實際的景象形成有些過份鮮明的對照?!?/p>
He folded the letter, locked it in his desk, and again went out.
他折好信,鎖進抽屜,又走了出去。
For some minutes no one spoke. Diana then turned to me.
幾分鐘內沒有人開腔。黛安娜轉向我。
"Jane, you will wonder at us and our mysteries," she said,
“簡,你會對我們和我們的秘密感到奇怪,”她說,
"and think us hard-hearted beings not to be more moved at the death of so near a relation as an uncle;
“而且會認為我們心腸太狠,居然象舅舅這樣一位近親去世了卻并不那么動情。
but we have never seen him or known him.
但是我們從來沒有見過他,也不知道他。
He was my mother's brother.
他是我們母親的兄弟。
My father and he quarrelled long ago.
很久以前我父親和他曾有過爭吵。
It was by his advice that my father risked most of his property in the speculation that ruined him.
聽從他的建議,我們父親把大部分資產冒險投入一樁后來毀了他的買賣。
Mutual recrimination passed between them: they parted in anger, and were never reconciled.
彼此都責備對方,他們怒氣沖沖地分別了,從此沒有和好。
My uncle engaged afterwards in more prosperous undertakings:
我舅舅后來又投資了幾家使他財運亨通的企業。
it appears he realised a fortune of twenty thousand pounds.
他似乎積攢了二萬英鎊的財產。
He was never married, and had no near kindred but ourselves and one other person, not more closely related than we.
他—直單身,除了我們也沒有近親,另外有一個關系比我們要離得遠些。