The Platinum Rule is taking the Golden Rule and switching it around.
鉑金法則就是取自黃金法則再對其進行小小的修飾
And what it says is, do not do unto yourself what you would not do unto others.
它說的是:人所不欲勿施于己
Or rather "do unto yourself what you do unto others."
或者說“人所欲方施于己”
Now if a good friend of you, someone you really care about
如果你的一個好朋友 你非常在乎的一個人
or a family member fails and doesn't do well,
或者家庭成員失敗了 沒做好
what you'll do with that person? Do you reject that person?
你會怎樣對待這個人 你會排斥這個人嗎
Oh you just got a B on this exam. Or "you didn't win this competition."
你考試只得了個B 或者“你竟然沒贏得比賽”
Is that how you treat them? Or do you embrace them?
你會這樣對待他們嗎 還是你會擁抱他們
And do you love them any less for it? Of course not.
你們會因此少愛他們一點嗎 當然不會

Then why do we apply these unrealistic and non-compassionate standards to ourselves?
那么為什么我們要將這些不現實的 毫無共鳴的標準強加給我們自己呢
Now the Dalai Lama, when he was first introduced to a lot of Western culture,
達賴喇嘛 當他剛開始大量接觸西方文化時
was baffled by one very particular thing: by our usage of a word, compassion.
被一樣東西困擾了 就是我們用的一個詞 同情
The word compassion in Tibetan is "tsewe", in English spelled "t-s-e-w-e".
同情這個詞在藏語中叫“tsewe” 拼為"t-s-e-w-e"
The word in Tibetan means compassion for others as well as for self.
這個詞在藏語中的意思 既是同情他人 也是同情自己
And he was really taking back by the notion that in English when we talk about,
所以他完全被英語中的概念搞糊涂了
or in West in general-not just in English-when we talk about compassion,
或者說在大多數西方文化 不僅是英語文化中 當我們說到同情時
we talk about compassion for others. And he said, "how can you have compassion for others
我們是指對別人的同情 他說“你們對自己沒有同情
when you don't have compassion for yourself?" The foundation is the self.
又怎么能對別人有同情呢” 自我是基礎
The Platinum Rule is about having compassion for ourselves as well.
鉑金法則就是說對我們自己也要有同情