No. 13: So how do we know when we cross the truth?
第十三點:我們如何知道我們遇到了真理?
Thirteen. Thirteen. Someone was asking why did I pick thirteen, that's an unlucky number.
十三,十三。有人問我為何要用“十三”,那是個不吉利的數字。
Well, I don't know when thirteen got the bad rap and become the mongrel of numerology.
好吧,我不知道“十三”是什么時候背上惡名,成為數字命理學中的雜種的。
It's never done me wrong, thirteen.
“十三”從來沒有得罪過我。
In fact, thirteen has been a pretty lucky number for me, and I wanna tell you how.
事實上,“十三”對我來說是個相當幸運的數字,我想告訴你原因。
I've always taken these 21-day trips by myself to far off places
我經常獨自前往偏遠地區進行21天的旅行,
where I usually don't know the language and nobody knows my name.
在那里,我通常不懂他們的語言,也沒人知道我的名字。
They're adventures, one, but they're also a purge, all right, they're a cleanse for me.
這些旅行是冒險,但它們也是一種凈化,好吧,它們凈化了我。
They're like a 21-day fast from attention, from all the things I have in my well-appointed life.
它們就像21天的齋戒,讓我擺脫關注,擺脫我那按部就班的人生中的所有事情。
They're a check out, so I can check in with me.
它們就像是登記離開,那樣我自己才能再次登記入住。

See how I'm doing, be forced to be my own and my only company, to have a look in my mirror.
看看當我被迫自力更生,獨身自處時,被迫看著鏡子中的自己時,我過得怎么樣。
And we all know what can happen when we do that, sometimes we do not like what we see.
我們都知道我們那樣做時會發生什么,有時候我們并不喜歡看到的東西。
Well, in 1996, right after I got famous from a film I did called A Time to Kill,
在1996年,我剛因電影《殺戮時刻》成名,
I headed out on one of this 21-day walkabout, and this time to the jungles and mountains of Peru.
我就出發進行一次21天的徒步旅行,那次是去秘魯的叢林和山區。
The sudden fame that I'd just gotten was somewhat unbalancing.
一夜爆紅使我有點兒失衡。
My face was everywhere; everyone wanted a piece of me; people I'd never met were swearing that they loved me.
到處都能看到我的臉,每個人都想要一張,從未見過我的人發誓他們愛我。
Everywhere I went, there I was, on a billboard, a magazine cover. It was just weird, overall.
無論我去哪兒,都能看到自己,在廣告板上,在雜志封面上。整體而言,感覺很怪。
What was this all about? What was reality in this, and what's the bullshit?
什么情況?真相如何,到底怎么一回事?
Did I deserve all this? These were all questions I was asking myself.
我配擁有這一切嗎?這些都是我問自己的問題。
"Who was I?" was another.
“我是誰?”這是另一個問題。
Now, there's always an initiation period with these trips.
這些旅行總是有一個初始階段。
An amount of time that it takes for the place to initiate the traveler.
就是旅行目的地引起旅行者興趣所需要的時間。
The time it takes to disconnect from the world we just left, and become completely present in the one we are traveling in.
是我們切斷同剛剛離開的世界之間的聯系,并且完全進入我們正在其中旅行的世界所需要的時間。
Now for me, that initiation period usually last about thirteen days.
對于我而言,醞釀階段通常持續十三天。
Thirteen hellish days until I'm out of my own way.
十三天糟透了的日子,直到我徹底放松了自己。
After that, the whole trip is really fun and smooth sailing.
在那之后,整個旅程就變得真正有趣和平穩。