No. 12: Give your obstacles credit.
第十二點:要承認挫折的價值。
You know those No Fear T-shirts that were out.
你們知道那些印有“無畏”的T恤衫嗎?已經過時了。
I don't know maybe somewhere continue to go.
我不知道是不是有些地方還在流行。
No Fear? Anybody remember those, or is it just me?
那種“無畏”?大家都記得,還是只有我記得?
I saw them everywhere. I don't get 'em, and I never did.
我曾見過人們到處都在穿。我不穿,我從不穿。
I mean, hell, I try to scare myself at least once a day.
我是說,見鬼,我每天都要至少嚇唬自己一次。
I mean I get butterflies every morning before I go to work.
我是說每天早晨去工作之前,我都感到忐忑不安。
I was nervous before I got here to speak tonight. I think fear is a good thing.
在今晚來這里演講之前我也緊張。我認為恐懼是個好東西。
Why? Because it increases our need to overcome that fear.
為什么呢?因為恐懼增加了我們克服恐懼的需要。
Say your obstacle is fear of rejection.
承認吧,你們的障礙就是害怕被拒絕。
You wanna ask her out. You wanna ask him out. But you fear that she may say no.
你想約她出去。你想約他出去。但你擔心她可能拒絕。
You want to ask your boss for that promotion, but you're scared he's gonna think you're overstepping your bounds.
你想要上司給你升職,但你害怕他會覺得你越界了。
Well, instead of denying those fears, declare them; say the fear out loud; admit them; give them the credit they deserve.
不要否認這些恐懼,相反,宣布出來,大聲地把恐懼說出來,承認它們,承認它們的價值。
Don't get all macho and act like they're no big deal,
不要總是扮演男子漢,就仿佛那些恐懼無足輕重一樣,
and don't get paralyzed by denying that they exist and therefore abandoning your need to overcome them.
也不要因為拒絕恐懼的存在而變得麻木,以至因此放棄克服恐懼的需要。
I mean, I'd even subscribe to the belief that we're all destined to have to do the thing we fear the most anyway, at some point.
我是說,我甚至相信,在某個時候,我們都注定要做我們最害怕的事情。
So, you give your obstacles credit, and you will, one, find the courage to overcome them;
所以要承認挫折的價值,第一,你會找到克服它們的勇氣;
or you will, two, see more clearly that they are not really worth prevailing over.
或者第二,你會更加清晰地看到,它們其實不堪一擊。
So be brave; have courage, and when you do, you get stronger; you get more aware;
所以要勇敢,要有勇氣。而當你有勇氣時,你會變得更強大,會變得更清醒;
you get more respectful of yourself and that which you fear.
你會更尊重自己,以及自己害怕的東西。