"Hearth tales. Does Craster seem less than human to you?"
“那不過是爐邊故事。難道你覺得,卡斯特看來不像人?”
In half a hundred ways. "He gives his sons to the wood."
他不像人的地方可多了。“他把自己的兒子丟進森林。”
A long silence. Then: "Yes." And "Yes," the raven muttered, strutting. "Yes, yes, yes."
長久的沉默。“是啊,”熊老最后說,“是啊。”烏鴉邊嘀咕邊昂首闊步地走著,“是啊,是啊,是啊。”
"You knew?"
“您早知道?”
"Smallwood told me. Long ago. All the rangers know, though few will talk of it."
“斯莫伍德告訴過我,那是很久以前的事了。其實游騎兵們都知道,只是大家嘴上不提而已。”
"Did my uncle know?"
“我叔叔也知道。”
"All the rangers," Mormont repeated. "You think I ought to stop him. Kill him if need be."
“游騎兵們都知道,”莫爾蒙重復了一遍,“你是不是覺得我該阻止他,甚至殺了他?”
The Old Bear sighed. "Were it only that he wished to rid himself of some mouths, I'd gladly send Yoren or Conwys to collect the boys.
熊老嘆口氣,“唉,要真是因為他養不活孩子,我很樂意叫尤倫或康威來帶他們走。

我們可以讓他們穿上黑衣,守夜人軍團就缺人手。
But the wildlings serve crueler gods than you or I. These boys are Craster's offerings. His prayers, if you will."
但野人侍奉的神比你我的神更殘酷,這些孩子是卡斯特的祭品……唉,是他的祈禱方式。”
His wives must offer different prayers, Jon thought.
是嗎?他老婆的祈禱可與他大相徑庭。瓊恩心想。
"How is it you came to know this?" the Old Bear asked him. "From one of Craster's wives?"
“這些事,你怎么知道?”熊老轉而問他,“卡斯特的老婆給你說的?”
"Yes, my lord," Jon confessed. "I would sooner not tell you which. She was frightened and wanted help."
“是的,大人,”瓊恩坦承,“但我不能告訴您這是誰說的。她嚇壞了,她向我求助。”
"The wide world is full of people wanting help, Jon. Would that some could find the courage to help themselves.
“瓊恩,世界如此遼闊,到處都有求助的人。其中有的人,或許該鼓起勇氣,自己拯救自己。
Craster sprawls in his loft even now, stinking of wine and lost to sense.
這會兒,卡斯特就癱在閣樓上,渾身酒臭,毫無知覺。
On his board below lies a sharp new axe. Were it me, I'd name it 'Answered Prayer' and make an end."
樓下的長桌上擱著咱們新贈的利斧。如果我是他老婆,我會把這當成天神對祈禱的回應,就此了結他。”