That's what psychologists call an "Aha!" moment.
這就是心理學家們所說的“原來如此!”瞬間。
That was the moment I realized, 30 is not the new 20.
在那一瞬間,我明白了三十歲并不是新的二十歲。
Yes, people settle down later than they used to, but that didn't make Alex's 20s a developmental downtime.
沒錯,人們比以前更晚安頓下來,但這并不說明Alex的二十幾歲這個時間段是她的發展低谷。
That made Alex's 20s a developmental sweet spot, and we were sitting there, blowing it.
這使Alex的二十幾歲一個發展的良好時期,而我們就坐在那兒荒廢它。
That was when I realized that this sort of benign neglect was a real problem, and it had real consequences,
這時我才明白這種“善意的疏忽”是一個非常現實的問題,而且它有嚴重的后果,
not just for Alex and her love life but for the careers and the families and the futures of twentysomethings everywhere.
不僅是對于Alex和她的愛情生活,也對于各地的二十幾歲的人的家庭與未來。
There are 50 million twentysomethings in the United States right now.
現在美國有大約5千萬二十幾歲的人。
We're talking about 15 percent of the population,
這大概是總人口的15%,
or 100 percent if you consider that no one's getting through adulthood without going through their 20s first.
或者說100%,如果你考慮到沒人能在不經歷二十幾歲這個階段的情況下經過成人期。
Raise your hand if you're in your 20s.
如果你是二十幾歲的話舉一下手。
I really want to see some twentysomethings here. Oh, yay! You are all awesome.
我非常想在這兒看到一些二十幾歲的人。太好了!你們都棒極了。
If you work with twentysomethings, you love a twentysomething,
如果你和二十幾歲的人工作,如果你愛一個二十幾歲的人,
you're losing sleep over twentysomethings, I want to see... Okay. Awesome, twentysomethings really matter.
如果你因為二十幾歲的人而失眠,我就想看到...好的。棒極了,二十幾歲的人非常重要。
So, I specialize in twentysomethings because I believe that every single one of those 50 million twentysomethings
我專門研究二十幾歲的人,因為我相信這5千萬個二十幾歲的人中每一個
deserves to know what psychologists, sociologists, neurologists and fertility specialists already know:
都應該知道每一個心理學家,社會學家,神經學家以及生育專家都知道的:
that claiming your 20s is one of the simplest,
那就是把握你的二十歲這一個階段是最簡單的,
yet most transformative, things you can do for work, for love, for your happiness, maybe even for the world.
但又是最有影響力的你能為你的職業、愛情、幸福,甚至是全世界做的事。