When I was in my 20s, I saw my very first psychotherapy client.
當我20幾歲時,我見到了我的第一個需要精神療法的病人。
I was a Ph.D. student in clinical psychology at Berkeley.
當時我是一個在伯克利大學讀臨床心理學的Ph.D學生。
She was a 26-year-old woman named Alex.
她是一位叫Alex的26歲女性。
Now Alex walked into her first session wearing jeans and a big slouchy top,
第一次會面時Alex穿了牛仔褲以及略微不修邊幅的上衣,
and she dropped onto the couch in my office and kicked off her flats and told me she was there to talk about guy problems.
進來后直接坐到我辦公室中的沙發上,踢掉她的鞋子,然后跟我說她是來跟我講男性問題的。
Now when I heard this, I was so relieved. My classmate got an arsonist for her first client.
當我聽到這個時,我松了一口氣。我的一個同學的第一個病人是一個縱火犯。
And I got a twentysomething who wanted to talk about boys.
所以說,我有一個二十幾歲的人想跟我談談男生。
This I thought I could handle. But I didn't handle it.
我以為我能處理好這事。但我沒能辦到。
With the funny stories that Alex would bring to session,
Alex在每一次會面時都會帶來好笑的故事,
it was easy for me just to nod my head while we kicked the can down the road.
因此對我而言點點頭,不斷拖延出結果的時間是一件非常輕松的事情。
"Thirty's the new 20," Alex would say, and as far as I could tell, she was right.
Alex會說“三十就是新的二十”,而且就我知道的,她是對的。
Work happened later, marriage happened later, kids happened later, even death happened later.
工作要以后才有,結婚以后才有,孩子以后才有,連死亡都是以后才有。
Twentysomethings like Alex and I had nothing but time.
像Alex和我一樣是二十幾歲的人除了時間外一無所有。
But before long, my supervisor pushed me to push Alex about her love life. I pushed back.
但沒過多久,我的監督就催我開始推動Alex的愛情生活。我拒絕了。
I said, "Sure, she's dating down, she's sleeping with a knucklehead, but it's not like she's going to marry the guy."
我說:“沒錯,她現在在約會,她和一個笨蛋同床,但這并不表示她會和他結婚。”
And then my supervisor said, "Not yet, but she might marry the next one.
然后我的監督說:“現在還沒,但她可能會和下一個這樣的人結婚。
Besides, the best time to work on Alex's marriage is before she has one."
再說,在Alex的婚事上花費精力的最好時間就是在她結婚之前。”