My heroes in life were Dr. Martin Luther King, and Robert F. Kennedy,
我生命中的英雄是馬丁·路德·金博士和羅伯特·肯尼迪,
who had fought against the very things that Wallace stood for.
他們與華萊士的立場針鋒相對。
Keep in mind, that I grew up, or, when I grew up,
你需要知道的是,成長的過程中,
I grew up in a place where King and Kennedy were not exactly held in high esteem.
我是在一個金和肯尼迪并不備受尊敬的地方長大。
When I was a kid, the South was still coming to grips with its history.
當我還是個孩子的時候,南方仍然對其歷史緊抓不舍。
My textbooks even said the Civil War was about states' rights. They barely mentioned slavery.
我的課本里甚至說內戰關乎國家權利。它們幾乎沒有提及奴隸制。
So I had to figure out for myself what was right and true.
所以我不得不為自己找出什么是正確的和真實的。
It was a search. It was a process.
這是一種找尋,一個過程。
It drew on the moral sense that I'd learned from my parents, and in church, and in my own heart,
它汲取了我從我的父母、教堂和在我的內心習得的道德觀念,
and led me on my own journey of discovery.
引領我走上了自己的發現之旅。
I found books in the public library that they probably didn't know they had.
我發現了一些在公共圖書館可能不為人知的書。
They all pointed to the fact that Wallace was wrong.
它們都指出了一個事實:華萊士是錯誤的。
That injustices like segregation had no place in our world. That equality is a right.
在我們的世界不應存在不公和種族隔離。平等是一種權利。
As I said, I was only 16 when I met Governor Wallace, so I shook his hand as we were expected to do.
就像我說的,我遇見華萊士州長的時候只有16歲,所以我按照期望的那樣與他握了手。
But shaking his hand felt like a betrayal of my own beliefs.
但是與他握手感覺像是背叛了自己的信仰。
It felt wrong. Like I was selling a piece of my soul.
那感覺很不對勁。就像出賣了一部分自己的靈魂。