My own journey in life was just beginning.
在生活中,我自己的旅程才剛剛開始。
I hadn't even applied for college yet at that point.
在那時我還沒申請大學。
For you graduates, the process of discovering yourself, of inventing yourself, of reinventing yourself is about to begin in earnest.
對于你們畢業生而言,發現自己,開發自己,改造自己的進程正急不可待。
It's about finding your values and committing to live by them.
它關乎于找到你生活的價值觀并去奉行。
You have to find your North Star. And that means choices.
你必須找到屬于你自己的北極星。這意味著需要選擇。
Some are easy. Some are hard. And some will make you question everything.
有些很容易,有些卻很困難。有些則會讓你對一切充滿質疑。
Twenty years after my visit to Washington, I met someone who made me question everything.
我訪問華盛頓的20年后,我遇到了一位讓我質疑一切的人。
Who upended all of my assumptions in the very best way. That was Steve Jobs.
他以最好的方式顛覆了我所有的假設。他就是史蒂夫·喬布斯。
Steve had built a successful company. He had been sent away and he returned to find it in ruins.
史蒂夫曾建立一個成功的公司。他被炒過,然后又臨危受命。
He didn't know it at the time, but he was about to dedicate the rest of his life to rescuing it,
他當時并不知道,他正要用自己的余生去拯救它,
and leading it to heights greater than anyone could ever imagine.
領導它登上無人能想象的高度。
Anyone, that is, except for Steve.
無人能想象,除了史蒂夫。
Most people have forgotten, but in 1997 and early 1998, Apple had been adrift for years. Rudderless.
大多數人已經忘記了,但是在1997年和1998年初,蘋果隨波逐流了好幾年。群龍無首。
But Steve thought Apple could be great again. And he wanted to know if I'd like to help.
但是史蒂夫認為蘋果可以再次稱霸。他想知道我是否愿意幫助他。
His vision for Apple was a company that turned powerful technology into tools that were easy to use,
他對蘋果公司的愿景是將強大的技術變成容易使用的工具,
tools that would help people realize their dreams.
幫助人們實現他們的夢想的工具。
And change the world for the better.
并使這個世界變得更好。
I had studied to be an engineer and earned an M.B.A.
我已經進修成為一個工程師,獲得了一個工商管理學碩士學位。
I was trained to be pragmatic, a problem solver.
我被訓練成務實、善于解決問題的人。
Now I found myself sitting before and listening to this very animated 40-something guy with visions of changing the world.
如今我發現自己坐在這位四十幾歲的充滿斗志的男人面前聽他講述著改變世界的愿景。
It was not what I had expected. You see, when it came to my career, in 1998, I was also adrift. Rudderless.
這不是我預期的。你們知道,在我的職業生涯中,在1998年,我也是隨波逐流。毫無方向。