In the summer of 1977, yes, I'm a little old,
在1977年的夏天,是的,我有點老,
I was 16 years old and living in Robertsdale, the small town in southern Alabama that I grew up in.
我16歲,住在羅伯茨代爾,我在美國阿拉巴馬州南部的小鎮長大。
At the end of my junior year of high school I'd won an essay contest sponsored by the National Rural Electric Association.
我在高中三年級的時候贏得了由全國農村電力協會贊助的論文競賽。
I can't remember what the essay was about,
我不記得這篇文章是關于什么,
what I do remember very clearly is writing it by hand, draft after draft after draft.
但我記得很清楚它是手寫的,打了一遍又一遍的草稿。
Typewriters were very expensive and my family could not afford one.
打字機非常昂貴,我的家庭負擔不起。
I was one of two kids from Baldwin County that was chosen to go to Washington along with hundreds of other kids across the country.
我是鮑德溫縣兩個被選中的孩子之一,和全國數以百計的其他孩子被選去華盛頓。
Before we left, the Alabama delegation took a trip to our state capitol in Montgomery for a meeting with the governor.
在我們離開之前,阿拉巴馬州代表團去了趟我們在蒙哥馬利的州議會大廈,會見了州長。
The governor's name was George C. Wallace.
州長叫做喬治·華萊士。
The same George Wallace who in 1963 stood in the schoolhouse door at the University of Alabama to block African Americans from enrolling.
1963年,喬治·華萊士站在阿拉巴馬大學校舍門阻止非洲裔美國人入學。
Wallace embraced the evils of segregation.
華萊士奉行邪惡的種族隔離主義。
He pitted whites against blacks, the South against the North, the working class against the so?called elites.
他讓白人對抗黑人,南方對抗北方,工人階級對抗所謂的精英。
Meeting my governor was not an honor for me.
與州長會面對我而言并非榮譽。