All this while, I was interviewing him, questioning him,
這一陣我一直在采訪他,詢問他,
and then I realized that I was getting very superficial information, or just answers to my questions.
后來我發現我只得到了很表面的信息,或只是簡單地回答我問的問題。
But I really needed to dig deeper to get a new perspective.
但我真的需要再深入一點,看能不能理出新的頭緒。
So I thought, well, let's observe him in his daily tasks, while he's eating, while he's watching TV.
我想從觀察他的日常生活開始,觀察他吃飯和看電視。
And then, when I was actually observing him walking to his dining table, it struck me,
當我看到他走去餐桌吃飯的時候,我震驚地發現,
this man who finds it so difficult to walk on flat land, how does he climb a staircase?
他就連在平地上行走都是很困難的,更何況去爬樓梯。
Because in India we do not have a fancy rail that takes you up a staircase like in the developed countries.
在印度沒有像其他發達國家一樣,電梯可以幫你上樓。
One actually has to climb the stairs.
大家都要爬樓梯。
So he told me, "Well, let me show you how I do it." Let's take a look at what I saw.
他跟我說:“我給你看我怎么上樓。”請看我所看到的情況。
So he took really long to reach this position,
他花了很長的時間走到了這個位置,
and then all this while, I'm thinking, "Oh my God, is he really going to do it?
這段時間我一直在想:“天啊,他真的要這么做么?
Is he really, really going to do it without his walker?" And then ...
他真的要不用拐杖走樓梯么?”然后...
And the turns, he took them so easily.
然后他很輕松的轉彎。
So -- shocked? Well, I was too. So this person who could not walk on flat land was suddenly a pro at climbing stairs.
所以,震驚了么?我也震驚了。一個不能在平地上走路的人,爬樓梯卻非常順利。
On researching this, I realized that it's because it's a continuous motion.
通過研究,我了解到這是因為爬樓梯是一系列的動作。
There's this other man who also suffers from the same symptoms and uses a walker,
另一個同樣使用拐杖的帕金森綜合征患者,
but the moment he's put on a cycle, all his symptoms vanish, because it is a continuous motion.
只要騎上自行車所有的癥狀都消失了,也是因為這是連續性的動作。
So the key for me was to translate this feeling of walking on a staircase back to flat land.
所以問題的關鍵就是我如何把爬樓梯的感覺移植到平地上去。
And a lot of ideas were tested and tried on him, but the one that finally worked was this one. Let's take a look.
我在他的身上嘗試了很多想法,我們看一下最終成功的想法。