Then I could get a lot of work done,
我就可以做很多事
because with squash, we were at the courts, you know trained physically for two hours but total three hours a day.
因為打壁球時在球場上每天都要訓練兩到三小時
Weekends, we were travelling mostly or had matches at home.
周末,我們經常要外出或在這里打比賽
Mornings, at least two mornings a week we were lifting weights or in the gym.
早上,每周至少兩個早晨我們要健身或者舉重
So it was rough. A lot of work and I said I can't wait to have the freedom without squash,
這很難捱,積了一大堆作業,我等不及獲得沒有壁球的自由
especially giving that I wasn't enjoying that much at that point.
尤其是當時我還不是那么愛打壁球
Can't wait. Not to do anymore and just to focus on my classes. Catch up on all the readings and writings and stuff.
等不及不再打壁球,專注于我的學習。追上閱讀,寫作之類的進度
March 1 came. I stopped playing completely.
三月一號到來了,我徹底不再打球
And instead of becoming more productive. I became far less productive.
但與高效學習相反,我反而效率變低很多
Now I see a lot of you nodding. The athletes know what I am talking about.
我看到你們很多人點頭,運動員們肯定都有同感
Why? Why did I become more, or rather less productive? Procrastination, wow! Skyrocketed.
為什么,我的效率取決于什么?拖延,哇!突然升高

Why? Because for years I've been told I'm a person with self-discipline.
為什么,因為許多年來大家都跟我說我是一個自律的人
And I started to believe it. Yeah, I have a lot of self-discipline. Look at me!
而我也開始相信這一點。對,我確實很自律,看看我
I trained so hard. I worked, you know, when I played on the circus six hours a day.
我刻苦地訓練,訓練,每天像雜耍一樣地訓練六個小時
That's a lot of self-discipline! And suddenly, the squash season ended.
那可是非常的自律啊!然而突然間,壁球賽季結束了
And I said, "alright, let's see this discipline at work!"
我說"好吧,看看這自律的作用吧!"
And I wasn't getting any work done. Why? Because I gave up my rituals.
但我卻什么也沒做成。為什么,因為我的例行公事被打破了
You see, during the season, those of you who played varsity or very involved in music or club know that,
在賽季中,你們那些在校隊的,或是投身于音樂或社團的就知道
when you are investing a lot in a certain organization, your time has to be ritualized.
當你在特定組織里投入很多時,你的時間必須例行化
So you know you are in practice then or you are in these hours, or you are having meetings at these hours.
那樣你就知道你在什么時候該訓練,或學習。或者什么時候該開會
And after that you have to go back and work. Because you only have two hours to do. And you want to get an OK night sleep.
那之后你就回去學習,因為你只有兩個小時,而你又想睡個還算安穩的覺