"With what an extraordinary smile you uttered that word -- 'very well,' Jane!
“你說‘很好’兩個字的時候,笑得真有些反常呀,簡!
What a bright spot of colour you have on each cheek! and how strangely your eyes glitter! Are you well?"
你雙頰上的一小塊多亮!你眼睛里的閃光多怪呀!你身體好嗎?”
"I believe I am."
“我相信很好。”
"Believe! What is the matter? Tell me what you feel."
“相信!怎么回事?告訴我你覺得怎么樣。”
"I could not, sir: no words could tell you what I feel.
“我沒法告訴你,先生。我的感覺不是語言所能表達的。
I wish this present hour would never end: who knows with what fate the next may come charged?"
我真希望時光永遠停留在此時此刻,誰知道下一個鐘頭的命運會怎樣呢?”
"This is hypochondria, Jane. You have been over-excited, or over-fatigued."
“這是一種多疑癥,簡。這陣子你太激動了,要不太勞累了?”
"Do you, sir, feel calm and happy?"
“你覺得平靜而快樂嗎,先生?”
"Calm? -- no: but happy -- to the heart's core."
“平靜?不,但很快樂,樂到了心窩里。”
I looked up at him to read the signs of bliss in his face: it was ardent and flushed.
我抬頭望著他,想看看他臉上幸福的表情,那是一張熱情勃發、漲得通紅的臉。
"Give me your confidence, Jane," he said: "relieve your mind of any weight that oppresses it, by imparting it to me.
“把心里話告訴我吧,簡,”他說,“同我說說你內心的重壓,寬寬心吧。
What do you fear? -- that I shall not prove a good husband?"
你擔心什么呢?怕我不是個好丈夫?”
"It is the idea farthest from my thoughts."
“這與我的想法風馬牛不相干。”
"Are you apprehensive of the new sphere you are about to enter? -- of the new life into which you are passing?" "No."
“你對自己要踏入的新天地感到擔憂?也就是你就要過的新生活?”“不。”