He landed me on the pavement.
他把我放到了石子路上。
As John took his horse, and he followed me into the hall,
約翰牽走了馬。他跟在我后頭進了大廳,
he told me to make haste and put something dry on, and then return to him in the library;
告訴我趕快換上干衣服,然后回到圖書室他身邊。
and he stopped me, as I made for the staircase, to extort a promise that I would not be long: nor was I long;
我正向樓梯走去,他截住我,硬要我答應不要久待。我確實沒有呆多久。
in five minutes I rejoined him. I found him at supper.
五分鐘后便回到了他身邊,這時他正在用晚飯。
"Take a seat and bear me company, Jane: please God,
“坐下來陪我,簡,要是上帝保佑,
it is the last meal but one you will eat at Thornfield Hall for a long time."
在很長一段時間內,這是你在桑菲爾德府吃的倒數第二頓飯了。”
I sat down near him, but told him I could not eat.
我在他旁邊坐下,但告訴他我吃不下了。
"Is it because you have the prospect of a journey before you, Jane?
“難道是因為牽掛著面前的旅程,簡?
Is it the thoughts of going to London that takes away your appetite?"
是不是因為想著去倫敦便弄得沒有胃口了?”
"I cannot see my prospects clearly to-night, sir; and I hardly know what thoughts I have in my head.
“今晚我看不清自己的前景,先生。而且我幾乎不知道腦子里想些什么?
Everything in life seems unreal."
生活中的一切似乎都是虛幻的?!?/div>
"Except me: I am substantial enough -- touch me."
“除了我。我是夠實實在在的了--碰我一下吧。”