Here and there I strayed through the orchard,
我漫步穿過果園,
gathered up the apples with which the grass round the tree roots was thickly strewn;
把樹根周圍厚厚的青草底下的蘋果撿起來,
then I employed myself in dividing the ripe from the unripe;
隨后忙著把成熟了的蘋果和其他蘋果分開,
I carried them into the house and put them away in the store-room.
帶回屋里,放進儲藏室。
Then I repaired to the library to ascertain whether the fire was lit, for, though summer,
接著我上圖書室去看看有沒有生上火爐,因為雖是夏天,
I knew on such a gloomy evening Mr. Rochester would like to see a cheerful hearth when he came in:
但我知道,在這樣一個陰沉的夜晚,羅切斯特先生喜歡一進門就看到令人愉快的爐火。
yes, the fire had been kindled some time, and burnt well.
不錯,火生起來已經有一會兒了,燒得很旺。
I placed his arm-chair by the chimney-corner: I wheeled the table near it:
我把他的安樂椅放在爐角,把桌子推近它。
I let down the curtain, and had the candles brought in ready for lighting.
我放下窗簾,讓人送來蠟燭,以備點燈。
More restless than ever, when I had completed these arrangements I could not sit still, nor even remain in the house:
這一切都安排好以后,我很有些坐立不安,甚至連屋子里也呆不住了。
a little time-piece in the room and the old clock in the hall simultaneously struck ten.
房間里的小鐘和廳里的老鐘同時敲響了十點。
"How late it grows!" I said. "I will run down to the gates:
“這么晚了!”我自言自語地說:“我要跑下樓到大門口去。
it is moonlight at intervals; I can see a good way on the road.
借著時隱時現的月光,我能看清楚很遠的路。
He may be coming now, and to meet him will save some minutes of suspense."
也許這會兒他就要來了,出去迎接他可以使我少擔幾分鐘心。”