He took the thesis out of my hands. I was miserable. I was sweating.
杰夫叔叔把論文從我手里拿走了。當時我很痛苦。我出汗了。
I didn't know how to answer his question.
我不知道如何回答他的問題。
He said in a quiet voice, “Go throw some water on your face.
他用平靜的聲音說:“去潑點水在臉上。
Then we'll sit down and talk.” He turned and walked into his office.
然后我們坐下來談談。”他轉身走進辦公室。
I was happy for the chance to leave the room. I went into the bathroom and closed the door.
我很高興有機會離開房間。我走進浴室,關上了門。
I splashed some water on my face and looked at myself in the mirror.
我往臉上潑了些水,然后看著鏡子中的自己。
What I saw was a stupid, selfish kid. No wonder Aunt April treated me like I was 14 years old. I behaved like it.
我看到的是一個愚蠢自私的孩子。難怪愛普莉姨媽把我當作14歲的孩子一樣對待。我的行為就像個孩子。
I stayed in the bathroom for as long as I could. I wasn't looking forward to that talk with Uncle Jeff.
我盡可能長時間呆在浴室里。我不期待和杰夫叔叔說話。
Suddenly, I heard a noise. It sounded like a crash, like glass breaking.
突然,我聽到一聲巨響,聲音聽起來像碰撞聲,像是玻璃破碎的聲音。
As I came out of the bathroom, I also heard a loud thud, like something heavy falling to the ground.
當我走出浴室時,我還聽到一聲巨響,好像有什么重物掉在地上。
I stepped out of the bathroom and walked toward my uncle's office.
我走出浴室,朝杰夫叔叔的辦公室走去。
When I got there, the first thing I saw was a broken lamp lying on the floor.
當我到那兒時,我第一眼看到的是地上的一盞破燈。