I opened each drawer as quietly as possible and searched through them.
我盡可能安靜地打開每個抽屜,把它們都翻一遍。
I went through the entire desk, but I didn't find anything. Next, I looked through the bookcases.
我翻遍了整個桌子,但什么也沒找到。接下來,我翻遍了書架。
I was looking for an envelope or anything that would hold pictures.
我在找一個信封或任何能裝照片的東西。
Nothing. But then, suddenly, I saw something.
什么都沒有。但是,突然,我看到了一些東西。
There was a large, thick book behind one of the bookcases.
其中一個書架后面有本又大又厚的書。
I looked at the cover and knew that this was Ben's thesis.
我看了看封面,知道這是本的論文。
I tucked it under my arm and continued looking for the pictures.
我把它夾在腋下,繼續尋找照片。
Suddenly, I heard a noise. I looked at my watch. It was 12:53.
突然,我聽到一個聲音,我看了看表,12:53。
The secretary would be back soon from her lunch hour.
午飯時間一到秘書就會回來。
If I wanted to get out without being seen, I had to leave immediately.
我得馬上離開,否則出去就會被人看見。
I had to leave without Jennifer's pictures.
我不得不丟下詹妮弗的照片離開。
I had failed. I slipped out of the office and locked the door again.
我沒有找到。我溜出辦公室,又把門鎖上了。
As I had hoped, the secretary wasn't back yet and I walked out of the office without meeting anyone.
正如我所希望的,秘書還沒有回來,我走出辦公室,沒有見到任何人。
I headed home. I had to put the keys back into Uncle Jeff's room before he missed them.
回到家,我不得不在回杰夫叔叔發現之前,把鑰匙放回他的房間。