"She's right," he said. "I'm being a terrible uncle, dragging you into another case."
“她說得對,”杰夫叔叔說。“我是個糟糕的叔叔,讓你卷進案子。”
"You didn't drag me," I said. "You couldn't keep me out of it if you wanted to.
我說:“不是你讓我卷進去的,你也沒法替我做決定,
I'm 19. I'm an adult. I can vote. I can make my own decisions."I said.
我19歲,已經成年了,我可以自己決定。”
I was getting angry. I wasn't Aunt April's "baby" and I was tired of being treated like a child.
我生氣了。我不是愛普莉姨媽的“孩子”,我厭倦了被當作孩子一樣對待。
"Still, if it weren't for me, you wouldn't have seen a dead body and almost been killed in one weekend," he said.
“不過,如果不是我,你就不會看到一具尸體,周末還差點被殺,”杰夫叔叔說。
He was getting ready to say more, but he must have seen the look on my face.
他正準備再說些什么,但他一定看到了我臉上的表情。
"Okay, okay," he said. "We won't argue about it. We'll both try to be more careful.
杰夫叔叔說:“好吧,好吧,我們不要爭論了,我們兩個人都要盡量小心,
We won't do anybody any good if we can't stay alive to try to solve this case."
如果我們不能活著破了這個案子,我們對任何人都沒有好處。”
We said goodnight and we went to bed. I wasn't angry with Uncle Jeff.
我們道了一聲晚安就上床睡覺了,我沒有生杰夫叔叔的氣。
In fact, he was right about everything he said.
事實上,他說的每件事都是對的。
But I wasn't going to be taken off the case—not now.
但我現在不打算脫離這個案子。
The next morning, I returned Ben's call. He was depressed.
第二天早上,我給本回了電話,他很沮喪。