"That would be very convenient," he said.
“那會非常方便,”他說。
"Don't get me wrong. I don't think she did it, but I have to keep an open mind.
“不要誤會我,我認為不是她,但我不能抱有成見。
I can't dismiss the facts just because she's my friend."
我不能僅僅因為她是我的朋友就無視這些事實。”
I thought of Jennifer. "I see what you mean," I said.
我想到了詹妮弗。“我明白你的意思,”我說。
Uncle Jeff looked at his watch and said, "It's almost eleven o'clock. It's time to get home."
杰夫叔叔看了看表說:“快十一點了,該回家了。”
We had parked across the street from campus so we walked in that direction.
我們把車停在了學校對面的街道上,所以我們朝那個方向走去。
The traffic light changed and we both took a step to cross the street when a car came out of nowhere.
交通燈變了,我和杰夫叔叔正準備要過馬路,一輛汽車不知從哪兒冒出來。
It came toward us at full speed.
它全速向我們飛奔而來。
I was sure it would hit me when I felt a hand grab the back of my shirt, pulling me back onto the sidewalk—just in time.
我敢肯定,車子要朝我撞過來了,這時我感覺到一只手抓住我的襯衫后面,及時把我拉回到人行道。
I turned and saw Uncle Jeff, still holding onto my shirt.
我轉過身,看見杰夫叔叔還抓著我的襯衫。
He looked angry and he was looking at the car going down the street. I turned back to look, too,
杰夫叔叔看起來很生氣,他在看著那輛行駛的車,我也回頭看那輛車,
but it was too late. It was gone.
但為時已晚,車子不見了。
"Did you get the license plate number?" I asked him.
“你看到車牌號了嗎?”我問道。
"No, it's too dark," he said.
“沒有,太黑了,”他說。
"But one thing I do know. That was no accident.
“但是有一件事我知道,這絕非偶然,
That car was waiting for us and whoever was driving it meant to get us."
那輛車在等我們,是朝我們開過來的?!?/div>
"Who could it be?" I asked.
“會是誰呢?”我問。
"I don't know," he said,
“我不知道,”杰夫叔叔說,
"but this means that we're on the right track. Someone is nervous about what we'll find."
“但這意味著案件的方向是對的,有人擔心我們會發現什么?!?/p>