We finally got back home and Uncle Jeff decided not to call the police.
我們終于到家了,杰夫叔叔決定不報警。
First, we had no proof that it wasn't an accident.
首先,我們沒有證據證明這不是一場意外。
The police would probably say that it was just a drunk driver.
警察可能會說那只是一個酒后駕車的司機。
And second, we didn't have any good information to help them find the car.
其次,我們沒有重要的信息來幫助找到那輛車。
There were two messages on the answering machine.
留言機上有兩條留言。
The first message was from Ben. He wanted me to call him.
第一條信息來自本。他要我打電話給他。
Maybe he had some time to get together for that celebration I had promised.
也許他有時間參加我答應過的慶祝會。
The second message was from Aunt April.
第二條語音是愛普莉姨媽發來的。
"My darlings," she said. "I read about the murder at California University in the paper today.
她說:“親愛的,我今天在報紙上看到有關加州大學謀殺案的消息,
I really hope you're not mixed up in it. Jeff, you're a grown man.
我真的希望你不要卷入這件事,杰夫,你是個成年人了。
You do what you want, but if anything happens to my baby, my Derrick, I'll never forgive you.
你想怎么做就怎么做,但如果我的孩子,我的德里克出了什么事,我永遠也不會原諒你。
Do you hear me, Jeff? I'm off to Paris for a week or so.
你聽見了嗎,杰夫?我要去巴黎一個星期左右。
I don't want to be reading about you two in the newspapers, do you hear me?
我不想在報紙上看到你倆的事,聽到了嗎?
Goodbye, my darlings. I'll see you when I get back."
拜拜,親愛的,等我回來我們再見。”
I looked at Uncle Jeff and he had a guilty look on his face.
我看著杰夫叔叔,他臉上露出內疚的表情。