After Jennifer went home, Uncle Jeff wanted to walk around a little to think.
詹妮弗回家后,杰夫叔叔想四處走走,想一想。
We walked in silence for about 10 minutes before he said,
我們沉默了大約10分鐘,他說道,
"There are a few things we know about this case so far.
“到目前為止,我們對這個案件有了一些了解。
This looks like a crime of opportunity—that is, I don't think it was planned ahead of time."
這看起來像是一種機會犯罪——我認為這不是事先計劃好的。”
"What do you mean?" I asked.
“什么意思?”我問。
"Well, the murderer didn't bring the murder weapon with him to the dean's office.
“兇手沒有把兇器帶到院長辦公室。
It was something convenient—the statue that was already there."
那兒有方便的兇器——雕像。”
"We also know," he continued, "that the dean is a blackmailer.
“我們也知道,”他接著說,“院長是個敲詐者。
Blackmailers often have more than one victim.
敲詐者通常不止一個受害者。
If Alan Maurie was blackmailing Jennifer, I wonder whom else he was blackmailing."
如果毛里院長在勒索詹妮弗,我想知道他還在勒索誰。”
"I see what you mean," I said. "Who do you suspect so far?"
“我明白你的意思,”我說。“到目前為止,你懷疑誰?”
"There are four people who had motive and opportunity," he said.
“四個人有作案的動機和機會,”他說。
"First, there's Diana Marcelo.
“首先是黛安娜·馬塞洛,
She wanted to save her marriage and Dean Maurie didn't want to end the affair.
她想挽救自己的婚姻,而毛里院長不想結束這段戀情。
She may have gone to see him again, they fought, and she killed him.
她可能又去看他了,他們打了起來,黛安娜·馬塞洛殺了院長。
She also had opportunity. She says she was at home alone when the murder occurred.
詹妮弗也有機會,她說案發時她一個人在家。
And as far as we know, no one can say whether or not she was there.
據我們所知,沒有人能證明她是否在家。