"Jennifer's father is Alan Brody, the famous architect," Uncle Jeff explained to me.
“詹妮弗的父親是著名的建筑師艾倫·布羅迪,”杰夫叔叔向我解釋說。
"I remember seeing your picture in the newspaper.
“我記得在報紙上看到過你的照片。
Jennifer's family is one of the oldest and richest families in the city."
詹妮弗的家庭是這個城市最古老、最富有的家庭之一。”
"If Dean Maurie gave those pictures to the newspapers..." Jennifer started to say, but she didn't finish.
“如果毛里院長把那些照片登在報紙上的話……”詹妮弗要說,但是沒有說。
"My father and I are very close. I don't want to hurt him."
“我爸爸和我關系很好,我不想傷害他。”
"I see," Uncle Jeff said.
“我明白了,”杰夫叔叔說。
"I have to ask you this. What were you doing yesterday between 3:00 and 5:30?"
“我要問你個問題,昨天3點到5點半你在干什么?”
Jennifer thought for a moment and then said, "I ran into Derrick around 2:30.
詹妮弗想了一會兒,然后說:“我在兩點半左右碰到德里克,
Then I dropped off the money in an envelope for Dean Maurie and went straight back to my apartment."
接著我把錢裝進一個信封里給毛里院長送去之后就直接回了公寓。”
"You dropped off the money at his office?" I asked, surprised.
“你把錢送到他辦公室了?”我吃驚地問道。
"Yes, in his mail slot. That's the way he wanted it," she said.
“是的,在他的信箱里。”他想讓我放在信箱里,”她說。
"I'm supposed to be working for him.
“名義上我在為他工作,
The envelope is supposed to have my completed work in it. I have been making payments to him every week."
信封里是我完成的工作,實際上我每個星期都在給他付款。”
"How much have you paid him?" Uncle Jeff asked.
“你付給他多少錢了?”杰夫叔叔問道。
"$1,000 a week, so including yesterday, $11,000," she said.
“每周1000美元,包括昨天的1.1萬美元,”她說。