"What kind of photographs?" I asked.
“什么樣的照片?”我問。
"They were taken at a party last year," she said.
她說:“這些照片是在去年的一個派對上拍的。”
"I don't know how he got them."
“我不知道他是怎么弄到的。”
"What was in them?" my uncle asked.
“照片上有什么?”杰夫叔叔問道。
"They were photographs of me...using drugs—cocaine," she said.
“照片上有我……使用毒品——可卡因,”她說。
"I don't use drugs anymore, but I don't want anyone else to see those pictures."
“我不再吸毒了,但我不想讓任何人看到那些照片。”
"You mean that Alan Maurie was blackmailing you?" Uncle Jeff said to her.
“你是說艾倫·毛里在勒索你?”杰夫叔叔對她說。
"Yes, he has been blackmailing me for money for over three months," she said.
“是的,他已經勒索我三個多月了,”她說。
"Wait a minute," I said. "I can understand why you don't want other people to know you used drugs,
“等一下,”我說。“我能理解你為什么不想讓別人知道你吸毒,
but does it really matter? People these days would understand, especially if you don't use them anymore."
但這真的重要嗎?你不再使用這些毒品的話,人們會理解你的。
Jennifer didn't say anything.
詹妮弗什么也沒說。
Uncle Jeff was looking at her closely. After a few minutes, he said,
杰夫叔叔仔細地看著她,幾分鐘后,他說道,
"You're Jennifer Brody."
“你是珍妮弗·布羅迪。”
I looked at Jennifer. She nodded.
我看著詹妮弗,她點了點頭。
"I don't understand," I said, confused. Then I had a thought.
“我不明白,”我困惑地說。然后我有了一個想法。
"Brody, as in Brody Library?" I asked.
“布羅迪,就是布羅迪圖書館的那個布羅迪?”我問道。