"Let's go somewhere where we can talk," Uncle Jeff said,
“我們找個地方談談吧,”杰夫叔叔說,
leading us out of the psychology department and locking the door.
他把我們帶出心理系,鎖上門。
Jennifer walked behind him and I walked behind her.
詹妮弗跟在他后面,我跟在詹妮弗后面。
I didn't think she'd try to get away, but I didn't want to take any chances.
我認為她不會想逃跑,但我不想冒任何風險。
We walked outside and found two benches under some trees.
我們走到外面,發現樹下有兩條長凳。
Uncle Jeff sat down on one bench, and Jennifer and I sat on the other one facing him.
杰夫叔叔坐在一條長凳上,詹妮弗和我坐在另一條長凳上,面對著他。
"You know each other?" Uncle Jeff said, looking at me.
“你們認識嗎?”杰夫叔叔看著我說。
"We met two days ago," I explained, "and we were supposed to meet for coffee last night."
“我們兩天前見過,”我解釋說,“昨天晚上我們約好一起喝咖啡。”
"I see," he said. He turned to Jennifer.
“我明白了,”他說。他轉向詹妮弗。
"Why don't you tell me what you were doing in Dean Maurie's office?"
“你為什么不告訴我你在毛里院長的辦公室里干什么?”
I couldn't see Jennifer's face. She was looking in the other direction,
我看不見詹妮弗的臉,她朝著另一個方向,
but I could feel that she was trying to make up her mind.
但我能感覺到她在努力下決心。
Finally, she turned to Uncle Jeff and said, "If I tell you, can you keep it a secret? And will you help me?"
最后,她轉向杰夫叔叔說:“如果我告訴你,你能保守秘密嗎?你愿意幫助我嗎?”
Uncle Jeff said, "I can't make any promises until you tell me your story."
杰夫叔叔說:“在你說出你的故事之前,我不能做任何承諾。”
"I was looking for some photographs," she said.
“我在找一些照片,”她說。